Brand Rifle recommendation

Jud, you should try a .25-06 AI. It will change your opinion of them very quickly. As the owner of a .25-06 AI, I can tell you that I am also not a fan of the original .25-06 cartridge. I find the Ackley Improved 40* version to be a much better looking cartridge.

Jud, you should try a .25-06 AI. It will change your opinion of them very quickly. As the owner of a .25-06 AI, I can tell you that I am also not a fan of the original .25-06 cartridge. I find the Ackley Improved 40* version to be a much better looking cartridge.

Yes I know the .25-06 AI is very effective just from reading your posts about your rifle and experiences with this cartridge. I just wish that the .25s would get some better long range projectiles other than the 115gr Berger. Something in the .500 G1 BC would be nice for the bigger quarter bores such as the .257 WBY and .25-06 Ackley. Then it would really shine as a long range caliber. Just don't like the light 110-117s going really fast for deer unless its a solid slug like an AccuBond or Interbond but even then you are limited because of the low BCs.

Yes I know the .25-06 AI is very effective just from reading your posts about your rifle and experiences with this cartridge. I just wish that the .25s would get some better long range projectiles other than the 115gr Berger. Something in the .500 G1 BC would be nice for the bigger quarter bores such as the .257 WBY and .25-06 Ackley. Then it would really shine as a long range caliber. Just don't like the light 110-117s going really fast for deer unless its a solid slug like an AccuBond or Interbond but even then you are limited because of the low BCs.

You underestimate how effective the 110-115gr bullets are on deer out to around 350 yards or so. Small entrance, small exit, very little meat damage, but with warp-speed velocities like the .257 Roy and .25-06AI, they leave a massive wound cavity, from expelling all their energy, but retaining enough to cause a clean exit.

My first trip out with the .257 Wby I dropped a big doe at around 100 yards or so. She ran about 30-40 yards and dropped. Took it to my buddy who owns a deer processing business, and he cut it open and said he'd never seen such massive soft-tissue (vitals) damage with virtually zero meat damage. That was in Jan of 2009. I asked him last year if he'd ever seen anything like it since, and he still says he has not. Said it still baffles him.

You underestimate how effective the 110-115gr bullets are on deer out to around 350 yards or so. Small entrance, small exit, very little meat damage, but with warp-speed velocities like the .257 Roy and .25-06AI, they leave a massive wound cavity, from expelling all their energy, but retaining enough to cause a clean exit.

My first trip out with the .257 Wby I dropped a big doe at around 100 yards or so. She ran about 30-40 yards and dropped. Took it to my buddy who owns a deer processing business, and he cut it open and said he'd never seen such massive soft-tissue (vitals) damage with virtually zero meat damage. That was in Jan of 2009. I asked him last year if he'd ever seen anything like it since, and he still says he has not. Said it still baffles him.

I believe it is my lack of experiences with these cartridges that have formed my opinion. I would have expected a 110gr slug going in excess of 3300+ to cause large amounts of trauma to the meat and internals. Just didn't know they were as effective for preserving meat as you say they are. Maybe if my cousin ever gets around to the .257 WBY he has wanted we will have to test her out on some whitetail!

I think I really like my .25-06 AI over my .257 Wby, because with the .257 Wby, the recoil is notieably sharper, heavier, and muzzle flip and muzzle blast are significantly greater. The .25-06 AI is so smooth and light-recoiling that it is a dream to shoot.

As you can see this topic will bring a wide range of response. And as you can also see it can lead off topic. The OP wasnt asking about AI's or 257's.
Simply asking opinions on the accuracy of out the box 25-06.

Do you have a budget in mind? and what is your expectations for accuracy? At what distances will you be shooting?

I believe that most factory rifles will shoot 1-1/2" out of the box. (my experience anyway) and with a little massaging and / or hand loads can be made much better.

If your longest shot is going to be 200 yrds, then a 1-1/2 shooter would work just fine.

My experience with Remington has been good, Savages always seem to shoot well, Tikka and T/C Ventures too.

If you are looking for a budget rifle that shoot well.
Ruger American
Marlin X7
Mossberg.

I will probably get crucified for mentioning the last 3 but for a budget rifle they can shoot or be made to shoot as well as most other production rifle.
IMHO
All depending on what you are willing to spend.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts