rifle recommendation

Water Swatter

I am in the market for a new rifle, what i am looking for is;

stainless
synthetic
7.5'ish lbs
under $1000

I am looking at the Remington XCR in 7mm rem mag at $850, but I am also interstested in the Sendero but at 8.5 lbs (rifle only) it is a little more than I want to carry all day.

Is there a difference in the action and barrel in the XCR and the SPS Stainless? is the trinyte coating and hogue stock worth the price difference? I have always had blued rifles without any corrosion issues, so I don't see the need in the corrosion coating.

Would I be better off getting the SPS stainless and getting a B&C medalist stock, or Hogue full block stock and stll save $200 or so?

Rob

optics is going to be the next step

It sounds like you take care of your rifles. I'd opt for saving a little money and get the Stainless SPS and then get the stock you want. the only diffrence other than the Trynite coating ,is the stock, and you know what stock you want and can save money in the process.

Invest the diffrence in better optics and have it all.

Dan

An SPS with the Medalist will cost you about what the XCR costs off the shelf so I don't see a cost savings. The Medalist is probably the superior stock (I have one and love it) but the Hogue is a definite improvement over the standard SPS stock, is (I believe) pillar bedded, and one I have not heard bad things about. There is a good chance the XCR trigger (if it is the new X-mark) will be great right out of the box and the Trynite finish superior to the stainless on the SPS. Would be a hard call, and as you see there are a few "if's" in my logic, but the trigger and finish, to me, slightly outweigh the difference between the Bell and Carlson v. Hogue. You can always get a different stock next year or whenever - then camo paint the Hogue for practice or sell it on gunbroker.

My vote is for a Sako A7 or a Tikka T3 lite. They are accurate, have very smooth actions, are lightweight, and have good triggers. Bonus: their accuracy is guarnteed sub MOA - 3 shots for the Tikka, 5 shots for the Sako. I've had great luck with Tikkas. I have 3. All are great shooters.

Paul

Water Swatter- tell us how you like the SPS - the trigger, the stock, the first groups etc.... congrats on the new rifle.

Water Swatter- tell us how you like the SPS - the trigger, the stock, the first groups etc.... congrats on the new rifle.

Thanks, I will update soon. One thing I noticed right away was the weight difference from my heavy barreled 300 win mag at 11lbs.

I got the talley 2 piece med rings/bases yesterday, I will mount my VariX III 3.5x10 x 40 on it this weekend.

Valentines day and the inlaws intown this weekend so no chance of getting out until after.

I finally found brass at Sinclair, bought the last 84 pieces they had

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.