Mountain Rifle Recommendation

kscowboy01

Good evening,

I was hoping I could get some feedback on a rifle for my brother-in-law. He is starting to get into hunting out here in Colorado and beginning to realize that mountain hunting is a tough game. He is looking to get a good rifle to start but not looking to break the bank. Below is the email he sent me:

"I really understand the need for a light rifle now. I was hiking on some seriously steep terrain this weekend where I'll be elk hunting in October... could be miles to walk and a heavy gun is the last thing you want.

I did some research for a cheaper option to the Kimber Montana and found the Tikka T3 superlight, it's only about 1/2lb heavier than the Kimber but $500 cheaper, and it comes in a .300 Win Mag. Thoughts?"

If money wasn't an option, I love Mel Forbes' NULA or the Kimber Mountain Ascent. When I went on my sheep hunt last year in AK, the guides were all carrying Kimber Montanas in 325. If more than one guide in camp is carrying the same gun, that says something.

We got him a Leupold V3 with CDS turrets, so he is good in the optics department. What would you recommend in the sub $1,000 marketplace. He will be hunting elk and deer. He is a decent sized guy, so .300 Win is a good caliber for him. A muzzle-break would be a plus.

Thanks for your help and good luck this season!

(I posted this elsewhere for maximum, quality feedback)

I have a Kimber Montana it is awesome shoots easy .5 at 100 yards I would look for a 300 in a montana look around you may find one for 1000 on a deal somewhere or a good used one,mine is a 280AI , and it is so good I'm gona try a 300 win. I have also heard good things about the T3 in the 7mm mags, and they are a good price as well you could get the trigger tuned and try it out.

Am I understanding this correctly. He has an elk hunt next month and is looking for a rifle now??

Anyways. Regardless the time frame I would not hesitate getting a tikka. Just open up the Tupperware stock. I spray painted mine grey and black fleck stone. Looks sweet and shoots sweeter for the price.

When I had a "MTN" gun, it was on a Remington 700 titanium action with an 18" Lilja barrel chambered in .300 WSM and bedde into a Kevlar stock. Tikkas are good rifle but keep your eye it for a Remington 700 Titanium.

Tikkas have a thin barrel as is, I don't think I'd mess with the superlite fluted version, just the regular T3. I'm not sure that I'd want to go 300WM in a Tikka though, my 7mm-08 clocks in at 7.25lb with optics (sightron big sky 3.5-10x42). That's a big jump in felt recoil versus a heavier gun (IE a 9lb gun in 300WM might recoil at 24lbs but a 7.25llb gun might recoil at 29lbs). Doesn't sound like a fun package to me unless it has a brake on it like you said was a consideration.

7mag or 30-06 would likely be much more enjoyable to use.

I have a 300wm factory savage w/ talleys and same scope as you on a Mcmillan htg edge. It weighs in at 7.5lbs. The recoil is not nearly as bad as I had expected, it is quite manageable. I think the stock design helps a lot.

A factory tikka stock might not be fun, I'd for sure put a sims on it.

Tikkas are great rifles i know i sound biased because its my username though...mine 300 wsm with a limbsaver kicks less than my 94 30-30...they are some of the best shooting factory guns period let alone for the money...tell him to get one of those i a 300 win or wsm or 7 rem mag put a limbsaver and a steel recoil lug with that vx-3 and he'll be good to go.

I think we are going with a Savage Bear Hunter in .300 Win.

If anyone knows where to track one of these down, let me know, please.

Good evening,

I was hoping I could get some feedback on a rifle for my brother-in-law. He is starting to get into hunting out here in Colorado and beginning to realize that mountain hunting is a tough game. He is looking to get a good rifle to start but not looking to break the bank. Below is the email he sent me:

"I really understand the need for a light rifle now. I was hiking on some seriously steep terrain this weekend where I'll be elk hunting in October... could be miles to walk and a heavy gun is the last thing you want.

I did some research for a cheaper option to the Kimber Montana and found the Tikka T3 superlight, it's only about 1/2lb heavier than the Kimber but $500 cheaper, and it comes in a .300 Win Mag. Thoughts?"

If money wasn't an option, I love Mel Forbes' NULA or the Kimber Mountain Ascent. When I went on my sheep hunt last year in AK, the guides were all carrying Kimber Montanas in 325. If more than one guide in camp is carrying the same gun, that says something.

We got him a Leupold V3 with CDS turrets, so he is good in the optics department. What would you recommend in the sub $1,000 marketplace. He will be hunting elk and deer. He is a decent sized guy, so .300 Win is a good caliber for him. A muzzle-break would be a plus.

Thanks for your help and good luck this season!

(I posted this elsewhere for maximum, quality feedback)

Whatever caliber you like ... Remington Model 7 or if you like something exotic.... maybe a bit on the bulky side a Browning BAR 308 Semi Auto Short Trac Hog Stalker. I personally like the Model 7. I have 1 in 6MM. Was my first deer gun as an 8 year old girl. Shot my first deer at 320 yards out across canyon. Most shots in the deer huntin spot were at a minimum of 250 yards out to about 450. Very steep rough terrain in Arizona.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.