Boyds Stock for a Ruger M77

one crazy kid

Hello all,

I have recently acquired a Ruger M77 in 25-06 with a 24" barrel, the estimated manufacture date is 1984. I would like to turn it into 1,000 yard deer/varmint/target rifle though, after-market accessories are limited. I recently purchased a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40 for glass and next I am looking to purchase a Boyds laminate stock. Having read some threads on here is sounds like Boyds makes quality furniture for a good price. My main question is which stock people would recommend. I am drawn to the At-one due mainly to the adjust-ability and some cool factor:oops:. However, I saw several rifles on here sporting the featherweight thumb-hole version and it made me curious. Additionally, if people have any experience with the older M77's tips and tricks would be very much appreciated.

Respectfully,

Andrew

I have a thumbhole Hunter on my 7ss that is pillar bedded and it shoots 1/2 moa to 1200 yards with a #4 krieger

2273039D-D718-416F-9403-C89B23B32361.jpeg
I had a pro varmint on my Ruger M77 tang in 280AI. Comfortable to shoot, needed higher rings due to comb height. I ended swapping it to make that rig lighter, not due to me not liking it.

crazy, Boyd's are very strong and offer good selection, colors, options and look good. Which ever one you choose, bed it! Pillars as well if possible, they are inletted quite loose and bedding improves performance greatly. Good luck

crazy, Boyd's are very strong and offer good selection, colors, options and look good. Which ever one you choose, bed it! Pillars as well if possible, they are inletted quite loose and bedding improves performance greatly. Good luck
Dosh,

Due to the angled front action screw on the old M77 do you think it is still possible to pillar bed the rifle? I am intending to bed the entire action, but most pillar bedding I have seen has been on straight action screws. I'm curious if the angle will make it to complicated or impossible to pillar bed.

Well, after a couple of months (school really didn't help much) of gathering supplies, making purchases and letting paint and epoxy dry I finally finished my project. It ain't perfect, but I am pretty proud of how it turned out. Thank you all for you input and advice, I will post another update after the snow clears off the range to see how well she shoots.

Specs: Ruger M77 Tang Safety .25-06 24in barrel
Boyds Featherwieght Thumbhole stock in nutmeg laminate.
Pillar and Epoxy bedding along with free floating.
Finished the bottom metal, trigger guard, bolt, and barreled action with Dura-Coat tactical black out of their aerosol spray can (their can within a can technology).
Topped it off with a Vortex Diamondback tactical 4-12x40 and Blackhawk 6-9 pivoting bi-pod.
OG.jpg
M77.jpg
M77 1.jpg
M77 2.jpg

Well, after a couple of months (school really didn't help much) of gathering supplies, making purchases and letting paint and epoxy dry I finally finished my project. It ain't perfect, but I am pretty proud of how it turned out. Thank you all for you input and advice, I will post another update after the snow clears off the range to see how well she shoots.

Specs: Ruger M77 Tang Safety .25-06 24in barrel
Boyds Featherwieght Thumbhole stock in nutmeg laminate.
Pillar and Epoxy bedding along with free floating.
Finished the bottom metal, trigger guard, bolt, and barreled action with Dura-Coat tactical black out of their aerosol spray can (their can within a can technology).
Topped it off with a Vortex Diamondback tactical 4-12x40 and Blackhawk 6-9 pivoting bi-pod.View attachment 127388 View attachment 127389 View attachment 127390 View attachment 127391

Were you able to pillar bed the front screw of the action? Your stock job came out really nice. Good luck with the build, I really like the Ruger 77 tang safety rifles. I am presently having two Ruger 77 tang safety rifles built in .270 Ackley Improved with 26 inch Lilja barrels. One of the Rugers is a round-top, the other is a 200th Anniversary model. Do you know who did the build on the rifle?

Were you able to pillar bed the front screw of the action? Your stock job came out really nice. Good luck with the build, I really like the Ruger 77 tang safety rifles. I am presently having two Ruger 77 tang safety rifles built in .270 Ackley Improved with 26 inch Lilja barrels. One of the Rugers is a round-top, the other is a 200th Anniversary model. Do you know who did the build on the rifle?
Alibiiv,

The barrel, action and internals are all Ruger factory parts, not sure who Ruger contracted to make the barrel. I did all of the finishing work myself, bedding the front action screw was pretty simple. I bought a kit from Brownells and decided that those were to big around so I ended up using some sections of lamp pipe for the pillars.

Awesome looking rig! I have one in 7RM that I bought in Great Falls back in 88 at Big Bear. I killed a lot of critters with it including a B&C Bighorn Ram. The barrel is toast and it's been in a case for about 12 years. Gonna get the action blue printed and rebarreled probably in a 7-300 RCM because of the .532 bolt face.

Congrats again on a great looking rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.