Rebarreling a Ruger M77 MkII

Wow, amazing how much strength Hornady has among the average guy now. Every time I walk into a sporting goods store, the guy behind the counter trys to sell/inform me about something prc or creedmoor. I never mention that I put my own rifles together. I just smile. But yes Hornady has got it together for factory ammo in affordable factory rifles. I haven't been restricted to factory ammo in years so I guess I have a different point of view. I still believe that low e.s. and day in day out accuracy is only guaranteed by loading my own rounds.

A good gunsmith or machinest can open the ruger, I've converted a number of rugers both the standard 77 and the MKII to rounds such as Remington ultra mags, 375 H&H, 416 rem, 458 lott, and both the 338 lapua and 33-378 weatherby, the bolt stop will need to be moved back and the ejector on the MKII will need adjustment, I've used both the ruger mag box for the 416 rigby and modified the standard box, they all fed and extracted just fine

A good gunsmith or machinest can open the ruger, I've converted a number of rugers both the standard 77 and the MKII to rounds such as Remington ultra mags, 375 H&H, 416 rem, 458 lott, and both the 338 lapua and 33-378 weatherby, the bolt stop will need to be moved back and the ejector on the MKII will need adjustment, I've used both the ruger mag box for the 416 rigby and modified the standard box, they all fed and extracted just fine

Do you have Smith recommendations?

McGowen Barrels makes a pre-fit for the Ruger 77 and other models as well. Pac-Nor may as well but I'm not positive. OAL is an issue with the "77" but it can be overcome. Maybe one of the Sherman (Elkaholic) offerings would scratch your itch.

Gunsmiths are like doctor's they are just practicing the trade, I once had a gunsmith who's father died on him twice, and he got the project wrong, don't care much for having to pay to have a rifle screwed up, I can screw up my gun all on my own, I'm not a smith, I was a pretty good machinist, I'd offer to do it, but California is taking all the fun out of playing with guns, I'm preparing to leave this state for a more friendly climate.

Gunsmiths are like doctor's they are just practicing the trade, I once had a gunsmith who's father died on him twice, and he got the project wrong, don't care much for having to pay to have a rifle screwed up, I can screw up my gun all on my own, I'm not a smith, I was a pretty good machinist, I'd offer to do it, but California is taking all the fun out of playing with guns, I'm preparing to leave this state for a more friendly climate.
I just reread that.....his father died twice? Metaphor or a very poor excuse for bad work?

well in his defense that was over a 4 year period, guess He just forgot that he'd died once already, i started my apprenticeship in 1979, the 1980 summer Olympics has just began when dropped my project off, I took delivery of it well past the complication of the 84 olympics, I had become pretty proficient with mill and lath, and by i just decided if things were going to get screwed up, I'd just save the money and screw it up myself,

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.