Bonded bullet performance

I think the accubonds are a good bullet out to 700-800 yards depending on what they are launched with. I had trouble getting them to expand on elk at 1000 yards even when the mv was 3350 in my 30" barrel RUM. Thats not a knock, just saying.......Rich

I think the accubonds are a good bullet out to 700-800 yards depending on what they are launched with. I had trouble getting them to expand on elk at 1000 yards even when the mv was 3350 in my 30" barrel RUM. Thats not a knock, just saying.......Rich

That's when you grab the ammo loaded with the ABLR...:D

I'm currently using accubonds in several of my rifles. 243, 25-06, 308 and 264 WM. Only one I haven't taken game with is the 308.
The 243 has taken hill country whitetail out to 400 and as close as 40 yards. All were DRT. All had an exit of less than 2". In this one I'm using the 90 gr AB.
In the 25-06, I've taken white tail out to 500. I've been using the 110 flavor in this. Same results. About a 2" exit.
The 264 is using the 142 ABLR at 3100. I've only taken one deer with it, a smallish doe at 350. She never knew what hit her.
I've tried the Swifts and couldn't get a decent group out of them. I haven't tried the Hot Core's though. After getting the AB's to shoot so well out of my rifles, I haven't really bothered to try others.

Since the Accubonds have came out I have not been able to test them at extended ranges but with the last Hot rod I built (A 7 STW with a 31' barrel) I was able to get 3800 ft/sec using a 140 grain bullet. Accuracy was ok, but best accuracy was just over 3750 ft/sec.

Anyway, at the time I had two different loads for it one load was for anything up to 500 yards and used a partition for its toughness and ability to hold together at those distances and velocities.

The other load used Ballistic tips in order to expand at extreme distances and velocities at the Point of impact. I am/was hoping the Accubonds would eliminate the need for two loads.

So far the Accubonds have performed well at the distances I have tried them but I have not exceeded 800 yards with them yet. (I hope to change that soon).

When I get the chance, I will try a shoulder shot first just in case (Per your experience with them).
That is what I had to do with the partitions at long distances to make them expand.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

Since the Accubonds have came out I have not been able to test them at extended ranges but with the last Hot rod I built (A 7 STW with a 31' barrel) I was able to get 3800 ft/sec using a 140 grain bullet. Accuracy was ok, but best accuracy was just over 3750 ft/sec.

Anyway, at the time I had two different loads for it one load was for anything up to 500 yards and used a partition for its toughness and ability to hold together at those distances and velocities.

The other load used Ballistic tips in order to expand at extreme distances and velocities at the Point of impact. I am/was hoping the Accubonds would eliminate the need for two loads.

So far the Accubonds have performed well at the distances I have tried them but I have not exceeded 800 yards with them yet. (I hope to change that soon).

When I get the chance, I will try a shoulder shot first just in case (Per your experience with them).
That is what I had to do with the partitions at long distances to make them expand.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

Hi Jerry! Be sure to let us know. At that velocity, they may be good for a long ways!:D

I put the 175ABLR through it's paces. It did just fine. I'm pretty sure it would expand all the way down to 1300fps. 1600fps is at 1200yds for my 28Nosler. Did the same for the 6.5s; the 129 is great for the Creedmoor and 260. The 142gr ABLR is needed for the magnums. The expansion medium was 1gal milk jugs filled with water.

Attachments

• 28targete.png
    28targete.png
    18 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 65
I put the 175ABLR through it's paces. It did just fine. I'm pretty sure it would expand all the way down to 1300fps. 1600fps is at 1200yds for my 28Nosler. Did the same for the 6.5s; the 129 is great for the Creedmoor and 260. The 142gr ABLR is needed for the magnums. The expansion medium was 1gal milk jugs filled with water.

With that sort of performance from the ABLR, it has wondering how the 162ELDX might do.
I was finally able to order brass and dies for my 7mm SS and will be running an informal test on hogs with a handful of bullet options.
I've got a spot picked out about 60 yards from my front door that the hogs visit each night. I figure I'll take shoulder shots on some and test out the close range integrity and performance of some of these bullets.
Here's my test list:
Berger 180 Hybrid
Nosler 140 Accubond
Hornady 139 Interbond SST
Hornady 162 ELDX
I figure a hog's shoulder is as good a test for these bullets as anything.

When I tested the 150's in a 270, I thought they would be great at long range..............Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.