Blemished Bullets-What to expect??

T3-OleMan

Back in the 1950 s > 1978 Dad would buy blemished tires when he could find a set, cost less and not ugly. We were poor peope from SC and still are. So, I have procured a life time supply of 338 AB 225s and Horney GMX185s that are blemished. Looked at a box of each and some of the 185s are discolored but look perfect. What has been your experience and or 2nd hand knowledge of these types of blemished pills. Will alot of them bobble down the tube ect.... and turn left at 80 yds????? LOL
Thanks in advance.

I shoot Blems quite a bit and I find that they shoot quite well at moderate ranges out to 500 yds with out any problem. After that I see some inconsistancys. They are great for practice and a deer couldn't tell the diffrence. If I was to shoot competitvely, I'd use the good stuff and for long distance shooting.....

Most of the Blemish is cosmetic, however sometimes on tipped bullets the tips are mis-shaped and they can cause erratic flight.

Blems are still an options for those of us on a tight budget.

Dan

I helped a friend once shooting "Blem" Sierra 250 and 300's from a 338 RUM. Like stated they are not nearly as good past 500 and the rifle was sending a few fliers at 300 too. I say if you feel the savings are worth it to you, then use them for practice. But I for sure would sight in and use the good ones for hunting. I saw enough with the friends rifle that I will pass on them completely.

YMMV

Jeff

I've shot the nosler blems with good accuracy.
But I do inspect and sort them.
they shot very well within each sorted category.
In fact a buddy shot an antelope at550 and 825 yds.
They aleppo shot well on targets at 565yds.

I've shot the nosler blems with good accuracy.
But I do inspect and sort them.
they shot very well within each sorted category.
In fact a buddy shot antelope at 550 and 825 yds.Both perfect hits.
They also shot well on targets at 565yds.

I've shot the nosler blems out to 600 yds and haven't noticed any accuracy difference from factory firsts. I haven't shot any Sierra blems but I have seen bins of them at gun shows and wasn't impressed. I've seen HP bullets that had no lead core, just the jacket! Also seen that in blems bought directly from the Sierra plant. Based on what I've seen, Sierra's QC on blems that get sold to the public is not what it should be. I've not shot any Hornady blems but have some that I will be trying out this year. Haven't seen anything but tarnishing on them. No missing tips, etc.

Thanks Fellers. That's about what I was hoping for. The GMX 185 copper pills are the ones I hope to use for testing powders and primers for the first 70 < 80 % of testing then bring in the A team to finish off my search for the perfect load. All hunting will be with the A class pills.

I have a nice stock of the Barnes MRX's & TTSX in all wts made for the 338. I'm hoping to use these 1/2 price GMXs (with less copper fowling trait) to do the dirty work for the barnes MRX & TTSXs and use them for the kills only. It's do able.

To quote a famous person........
"elk be afraid... be very very afread."..:D

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.