What velocity should I reasonably expect with a 6.5x?

adam

How's this for a first post.
I've traded myself into a Savage target action w/std bolt face. (right bolt, left port, Ohhh yeah!) I've yet to decide on the chamber, but since I suspect that i cannot shoehorn any of the 338 magnums capable of 2700 fps w/300smk's into this action, I've decided to go .264

I plan on using a 30" bbl. (Probably shilen) And have sort of settled down to either a 260 Rem, 6.5x284 or farther down the list 6.5x55.

What kind of velocity is it reasonable to expect with the 130 and 140 Grain bullets out of a 30" tube?

I'll admit that I really really like the idea of a 6.5x284, but I would use the 260 rem in a heartbeat (already own .308 headspace guages) if I thought that i could get in the 2900-3000ish FPS out of a 30" tube & a bc near .5 (I don't mind loading "warm" ammo, but I would rather spend the money on a wildcat than rambo my reloads to the max.)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.