What should i expect to pay to go ackley im a 6mm

Oldschool280

Thinking of going ackey in my 6mmrem, it has a 26 inch barrel . I figure if need be we can clean up the back end of the barrel and throat while were in there. Id like to make good use of the 1-12 twist and crank up some 75 grain v max's or varmegeddon's. Maybe fast enought to hurl 87's . Ive never had any smith work done other than some crowning. What to expect?

John Barsness, the gun author, said you will get a velocity increase that is 1/4 of the difference in case capacities. The 6mm Rem has a case capacity of 54.9, the improved has a capacity of 60

54.9 divided by 60 = .915 subtract .915 from 1 equals .085 increase in case capacity
divide by four is .021
take any velocity you get with the standard case and multiply by 1.021

Some handloaders may report higher velocities than was computed. I would suggest they are running at higher pressures.

---------------
links on the subject:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/6mm-remington-vs-6mm-ackley-76156/

6mm Rem vs 6mm Rem AI | Shooters' Forum

The brass life would be the best part with your combo. You already have plenty of horsepower for the light bullets you can shoot. Before I spent $$$ on Acleyizing that barrel, I would consider a new barrel with a twist that can handle a 105-115. Of course if you don't wanna shoot over 500 yds then it doesn't matter.

Gosh I just saw the title and I answered a different question. Oops. Well at least you know what performance to expect...

As to cost I'll let the others chime in....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.