Blackhorn 209 question

Original poster asked about load development and no one really answered that for him. So here is what I did. After purchasing my TC Omega last year and much research on the web, I decided on Barnes TEZ 250gr for bullet and Blackhorn 209 for powder. I went to the range intent on trying different levels of powder from 85 to 120 grains (all measures were by VOLUME measured with TC clearview measure) in 5gr increments. To start I ran a couple patches spritzed with hoppes #9 down barrel to clean any residue from it then started shooting. I shot 3 times with 85gr waiting approx 5 minutes between each shot. Afterward I pulled breach plug and cleaned flash channel. Then spritzed a couple shots of hoppes down barrel and pulled a 50 cal boresnake down barrel twice. I then went to next powder measure and repeated three shots followed by boresnake. If you have never actually worked up a load, I can say it was pretty neat seeing groups go from about 3 inches with 85 gr down to 1 1/4 inch with 105 gr. Group size started opening back up at 110 gr and was about 2 1/2 inches at 115 so I never bothered trying 120. What I found most amazing was that it shot 1 1/4 in group from a shiny clean barrel. So much for having to shoot a squib load like so many guys talk about.

Also per question if it really cleans that easy, yes it does. The residue it leaves, at least with mine is almost kind of oily. But when I pull breach plug and run boresnake through with a couple squirts of hoppes #9, all that is left is a shiny clean barrel. Good Luck with whatever you decide on and Happy Shooting.

All the above...

I just went with the Barnes 290 TMZ recommended load (100 grains by volume) and my Accura V2 shoots lights out. How about 2 holes on 3 shots at 100 yards and both holes within 1/8" of the other one. Thats good enough for me and any Michigan bambi I might encounter.....

Zero load development. I spent my development time developing my ML skills...lol

Of course Encore knows I fiddled with it (CVA) a bit, I can't resist that. I used Federal 209 Magnum primers with the CVA209 BP and the retainer shimmed to an interference fit with the primer face.

I use a welding tip (oxy-acetylene) cleaner from Air Gas to clean my flash hole. Easier to hang on to than a tiny drill because the tip cleaners come in a fold to make a handle case and the tip cleaners have a knurled section thats rats *** for removing any carbon.

I get absolutely NO primer blowback, I haven't cleaned the breech face in months.

300 gn Thor's are next up.

I stated before on another thread that primers do impact POI and I'll say it again. Get one primer and stick with it. I tried CCI's (had one box) and my POI changed dramatically. Went back to the Feds and it settled right down.

Was at a friends and ran out of pre-measured 209 so I loaded some of his Go-Ex. Big mistake. That stuff is nasty dirty. I'm spoiled with BH209.

It's a great rifle and I really enjoy it. It will never be a centerfire and won't reach out like a 338 but it's ideal for whitetails.

Rifles are tools. You need more than one tool to fill a toolbox....

All the above...

Thats good enough for me and any Michigan bambi I might encounter.....

Was at a friends and ran out of pre-measured 209 so I loaded some of his Go-Ex. Big mistake. That stuff is nasty dirty. I'm spoiled with BH209.

Rifles are tools. You need more than one tool to fill a toolbox....

Point #1 = lol

Point #2= agreed for damned sure

Point #3 = also agreed, otherwise why the hell do we shoot more than one gun :D

Guys, thanks for all the info. I'm going to go have fun and gun)the hell out of stuff Friday afternoon. I can't wait to report back!

No harder than any extruded smokless powder (to ignite) however, harder than black powder.

Specialized BP's are used to capture the powder and provide a more dense colum to burn. It's quite possible to use a standard flat faced BP but you'll get unburned powder, the recessed plugs were designed for a complete burn.....

No more taking a shower with your smoke pole.:D

Right from Western's web page:

"We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 – especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps, musket caps, high-powered rifle or pistol primers."

The designated muzzleloader primers are weaker for a reason and that's because of pellets that are used. However regular 209 primers will ignite BH209, such as the common WIN209. But...... they're not recommended and in very cold weather, may not provide sufficient ignition continuously. Does that mean its harder to ignite, well compared to 2f or the other propellants, yes.

The only people that use BH and ever go back to another propellant, are people that think its to expensive. However its a much better propellant and you still get 50 rounds fired from a container (depending on charge), equal to a box of pellets. Inconsistency in pellets has long been known, with velocities substantially different. With BH and if measured by WEIGHT vs Volume (using the correct and safe procedures), you can close up the velocities and make it extremely consistent. CONSISTENCY is the key in muzzleloading and accuracy, especially long range accuracy and tight groups.

Before this year's eye problems, my Pro Hunter was shooting groups under 2" at 200yds....... consistently. I could never do that with ANY kind of pellets. I do weigh all my charges and shoot 75grs by WEIGHT, which amounts to 107.1grs V. I don't have to swab the barrel between shots, ever, and it cleans up with just Hoppe's, NOT water. Michigan has over 660,000 deer hunter, with many of them leaving the shotgun and centerfires in the safe and only using the muzz. Those that have the proper breech plugs, are switching to BH209 faster than the stores can stock it. When you find it, shooters are buying what they can afford. Many are purchasing the 5# containers. There's a reason for that........

Long as we are on the subject, who sells/offers the funnel spout for a BH209 jug? I see them in the pictures of BH209 but I've never seen them for sale with BH209 at any retailer.

Would make pouring (into charge tubes) lots easier....

Long as we are on the subject, who sells/offers the funnel spout for a BH209 jug? I see them in the pictures of BH209 but I've never seen them for sale with BH209 at any retailer.

Would make pouring (into charge tubes) lots easier....

Cabela's and Jays probably carry them. I bought mine at a little mom & pop shop.

Okay. Blackhorn 209 KICKS ***!!!!!!

I went out today after work, and hastily put up my flimsy paper target. I wanted more time to work up a load, but listened to what Flip said and went directly to 100 grains of BH by volume.

The wind had the target blowing a bit, so I didn't really pay too much attention to grouping, just placement. First shot was 2 inches right, and 1 inch high, so I dialed in the adjustment. Second and third shots were on opposite side of the bull, so I called it good.

Next, I got the gong out and backed up to 200 yards. I sent one shot, but couldn't see where it hit. After walking up to the target I saw that it hit on the bottom half of the bull. I got excited.

Next, I backed up to 250 yards and shot 4 more shots. The grouping was damned impressive. 4.25" wide x 2.25 inches high at 200 and 250 yards!!! I got about twice that size of groups with 777.

I never did swab the bore, and never did get a gunk ring.

When I got home it took 3 patches of Hoppes to clean the bore, 1 dry patch, 1 oil patch, and another dry patch. Easiest cleaning ever. The breach plug took a little more work. It was fouled more than normal. Got it clean with liberal hoppes and a drill bit twisted by hand, as the website suggest.

Load was a 235 Precision Rifle QT, 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 (by volume), and a Winchester 209. I am an excited man! Can't wait for December!!!

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_20131108_153841_365.jpg
    IMG_20131108_153841_365.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 154
I used BH 209 for the first time this year on my elk hunt.I loaded 120 grains by volume behind a a Parker Match Hunter 275 and shot it out of a Rem. 700 custom I put together on a short action.Primer was a cci mag rifle seated in a cut off rifle case.Three shot clusters measured under 1 inch at 100 and accuracy was great out to 400.
On my hunt after passing up several nice bulls I put a 2 hour stalk on a good one laying in his bed.I took the shot at 336 yards and he never got up.I've got pictures ;but don't know how to post them.
I was really pleased with the BH 209 and if I ever draw this ML hunt again it is what I'll Shoot.If anyone would like to post the photos for me I can send by phone or email. Thanks Charles

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.