Blackhorn 209 question

jkupper

For those of you who are shooting Blackhorn 209:

What is your process for load development?

Once you find a load, by volume, do you weigh it and then weigh out additional loads for consistency, or do you measure by volume only?

I've never tried the powder. I got stuck on 777 when it came out, but after hearing all of the good things about Blackhorn I want to give it a try. Muzzle loading season in Nebraska begins December 1, so I have some time, but I would like to get started on the process ASAP.

It is by far my favorite season here :D gun)

Thanks for the help in advance guys!

Joe

For those of you who are shooting Blackhorn 209:

What is your process for load development?

Once you find a load, by volume, do you weigh it and then weigh out additional loads for consistency, or do you measure by volume only?

I've never tried the powder. I got stuck on 777 when it came out, but after hearing all of the good things about Blackhorn I want to give it a try. Muzzle loading season in Nebraska begins December 1, so I have some time, but I would like to get started on the process ASAP.

It is by far my favorite season here :D gun)

Thanks for the help in advance guys!

Joe

First... if you're shooting a CVA, you'll most likely have to order the proper breech plug to ignite it properly. EVEN THEN..... with the supposed "proper plug" shooters have issues. If you're shooting a T/C or Traditions you won't have to do anything other than put it down the bore.

I've shot BH since I could get my hands on it and won't switch back. You need to read and understand the BH209 web site, which I would always suggest. Western gives the volume to weight conversion of .7 which is the number that every shooter I know uses. Myself I shoot by weight. I shoot 75grs WEIGHT which equals 107.1grs volume. I've had outstanding accuracy, consistent out to 200yds with 2" groups with Barnes 250gr TMZ's.

Remember.......... 120grs V of BH209 is a max load. 84grs by weight.

If you want to shoot the equilivent of 100grs volume
this is the math.......... 100grs V *.7 = 70grs W of BH209.

If you want to shoot 120grs Volume...... 120*.7 =84grs W (max charge)

Thanks for the reply.

I'm shooting an Encore, so that should be no problem.

I did see on the website that 120 grains (volume) was the max load. I do not have any need to get that hot unless the gun won't group before that. I was thinking about starting somewhere on the lower edge of middle.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm shooting an Encore, so that should be no problem.

I did see on the website that 120 grains (volume) was the max load. I do not have any need to get that hot unless the gun won't group before that. I was thinking about starting somewhere on the lower edge of middle.

Thanks for the reply.

Been shoot'n the Encore platform since they came out. I believe it was "97", anyway late 90's. I've had a number of them. What I've found is that most Encore's prefer is very close to 105 to 110grs volume. I know a ton of guy shooting them, most shoot BH209 and that range is where most have settled on too. Every Encore I've ever had was an honest tack driver. I gave my favorite to a nephew, who cherishes that thing more than breath itself.

No doubt! I've only had 1, but I love the gun. It also seconds as my wife's 25-06.

Right now I am shooting 110 grains of 777 pushing a 220 grain Dead Center or a 235 grain QT. It shoots well, but it is all the other advantages of Blackhorn 209 that have me interested.

Does it really shoot as clean as they advertise? If it does I am really excited to give it a try.

Yes it does shoot clean. What you will see is a white coating in your barrel.But I will tell you is that I can load the 15th round as easy as the first round. believe me once you use it you will never go back to 777, that is what I use to use.3-4 rounds and you would have a f-ck of a time getting the bullet down the barrel. Try it you will love it.

Exactly what Varmint said :)

Once you start shooting it, then cleaning up after it, you'll give that T7 away!

Although close in ballistics, BH by far is a better propellant IMO. It cleans up with just Hoppe's, like any of your other firearms. You DO NOT use water for clean up.

However......... you should use a magnum primer, either CCI209M or Federal 209A primers. Regular designated "Muzzleloader Primers" WILL NOT give you consistent ignition. Although a regular Win209 will work..... most of the time, its highly recommended to shoot the magnum primers. Using those magnum primers does cause one minor concern, which is it carbons up the flash channel of your breech plug. With your Encore, use a 1/8" drill bit.... TURNED BY HAND.... and just chip out the excess carbon. You'll know when you get to the bottom of the of the flash channel. Its SO.... much worth shooting. I've sat and shot a couple packages of Barnes and never swabbed the barrel. Because I shoot (compete) against myself, I clean the flash channel after about every 10 shots.

You either change to it now or, you WILL later and once you do, you'll be hooked!

I keep reading about Blackhorn But still havent tried it, Finishing up Pyrodex RS Powder.
Will say it is a job cleaning but not that bad. I keep hearing accurcy with Blackhorn That I am really interested in.

Well, I just bought my first pound of Blackhorn yesterday. I'm planning to go shoot it after work on Friday.

My first impressions upon looking at the powder were far different than black powder or any other substitute that I have used.

The grains are very uniform, and it looks just like a smokeless powder. There was also a smell of nitro to the powder, which was different from anything I've ever smelled that is put in a muzzle loader. I am excited to try it out!

There's no reason, other than human error, that you wouldn't like it. I shoot nothing else.

Just remember, 120grs. VOLUME is a MAXIMUM CHARGE.

Have fun and report..... :)

Got it...120 grains volume = max load

I think I will start at 95 grains and move up to 105 from there. I'm not much of a max load kind of guy. I hope I can hit an accuracy node in there somewhere. I will report back with pictures when I'm done.

:D gun)

I've been looling at one of the Knight Disc rifles.Has anyone got experience using BH in them. I've been shooting a MK85 for around 20 years and even though it is old it still shoots great.The BH is making me ready for a change.:cool:

I've been looling at one of the Knight Disc rifles.Has anyone got experience using BH in them. I've been shooting a MK85 for around 20 years and even though it is old it still shoots great.The BH is making me ready for a change.:cool:

You might want to check with the guys on Modernmuzzleloader, as many of them shoot and work on Knights. I'm not totally certain but, there may be a modification they've created to shoot BH.

Op asked about load development and no one really answered that for him. So here is what I did. After purchasing my TC Omega last year and much research on the web, I decided on Barnes TEZ 250gr for bullet and Blackhorn 209 for powder. I went to the range intent on trying different levels of powder from 85 to 120 grains (all measures were by VOLUME measured with TC clearview measure) in 5gr increments. To start I ran a couple patches spritzed with hoppes #9 down barrel to clean any residue from it then started shooting. I shot 3 times with 85gr waiting approx 5 minutes between each shot. Afterward I pulled breach plug and cleaned flash channel. Then spritzed a couple shots of hoppes down barrel and pulled a 50 cal boresnake down barrel twice. I then went to next powder measure and repeated three shots followed by boresnake. If you have never actually worked up a load, I can say it was pretty neat seeing groups go from about 3 inches with 85 gr down to 1 1/4 inch with 105 gr. Group size started opening back up at 110 gr and was about 2 1/2 inches at 115 so I never bothered trying 120. What I found most amazing was that it shot 1 1/4 in group from a shiny clean barrel. So much for having to shoot a squib load like so many guys talk about.

Also per question if it really cleans that easy, yes it does. The residue it leaves, at least with mine is almost kind of oily. But when I pull breach plug and run boresnake through with a couple squirts of hoppes #9, all that is left is a shiny clean barrel. Good Luck with whatever you decide on and Happy Shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.