Blackhorn 209 question

cornchuck

I have a Remington 700ml in .45 cal. I had it converted to the Badger Ridge firing system so I could shot Blackhorn 209. I had it out a couple weekends ago to find my new load. I started at 90 grs. by volume and went up to 110 grs. 110 grs. is where I settled shooting 220 gr. Dead Center bullets from Precision Rifle Muzzleloading Bullets. This is the same bullet and powder weight that my old load was but it was with 777 granular powder.

Looking on the Western Powders for Blackhorn, they say to convert it by volume to weight, multiply by .7. Example: 100 x .7 = 77 grs by weight.

I was just curious so I weighed 110 gr by volume on my reloading scale and came up with 87.26 grs. If I do the math, at 87.26 grs gives me 124.6 grs by volume.

I use a brass sliding measurer.

Am I missing something? Do I need to measure Blackhorn different?

Jason

If you look on CVA's website they have the conversion tables for volume to grains (weight) of Backhorn. I load by weight, not volume, using a powder scale and not the tubes.

......…..Looking on the Western Powders for Blackhorn, they say to convert it by volume to weight, multiply by .7. Example: 100 x .7 = 77 grs by weight.

I was just curious so I weighed 110 gr by volume on my reloading scale and came up with 87.26 grs. If I do the math, at 87.26 grs gives me 124.6 grs by volume.

Jason

You're over charging the rifle by 4.6grs over maximum recommended.

Jason, not all volume measures are always correct. I have one that is LIGHT by 30grs, which I caught immediately. Had I loaded a maximum volume charge, I'd have exceeded it by 30grs.

Also different lots of BH209 will measure by volume considerably different. Its a known problem that Western had for a long time. They, Western,...… say...…. that Lot 30 and beyond are more consistent.

It ……….. seems...……. that many prefer the clear volume measure made by TC. Some have weighed out 100grs of 2f and verified it was correct in the TC measure. There are arguments on both sides of the table over volume vs weight. IMO the key is complete and total consistency in the process.
Personally I weigh my BH and use Western's conversion of .7

If I weight out my loads, what would be the lowest I can start with and how high can be the max for a .45 cal.

Jason

I would suggest starting with 80grs VOLUME (56grs by weight) and increase the charge 5grs up to 110grs VOLUME (77grs by weight) and look for the charge that shoots the smallest group. Don't chase your scope while doing this. Shoot at a spot for each grouping without adjustment. You're looking for the best charge giving you the best grouping. Once you identify the charge that shoots best, then make your final scope adjustments.
Be safe...……...

http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf

Last edited:
I don't have as much knowledge as the OP Encore has

But this is My load
On my TC Pro Hunter
Using XTP 240 gr bullets
Weighted 77gr/110v of BH209 2060fps avg.

Weight. / Volume
56 gr. = 80 v
66.5gr = 95 v
70gr = 100 v
73.5 = 105 v
77gr = 110 v
80gr = 114 v
84gr = 120v MAX LOAD

Thank you all for the replies and helpful knowledge. Looks like I'll have to redo my load and weigh out powder. That way I'll be able to a more consistent charge.

Jason

I have a Remington 700ml in .45 cal. I had it converted to the Badger Ridge firing system so I could shot Blackhorn 209. I had it out a couple weekends ago to find my new load. I started at 90 grs. by volume and went up to 110 grs. 110 grs. is where I settled shooting 220 gr. Dead Center bullets from Precision Rifle Muzzleloading Bullets. This is the same bullet and powder weight that my old load was but it was with 777 granular powder.

Looking on the Western Powders for Blackhorn, they say to convert it by volume to weight, multiply by .7. Example: 100 x .7 = 77 grs by weight.

Jason
I weighed mine after pouring by volume even with T7 and recorded the weights. I have just kept weighing it when making my vacuum packed spare loads for hunting season and sight in verification. I just volume dump my T7 for practice shooting.

What make power scale do you guys use for accurately weigh out 106 gr Blackhorn 209 (weighed)
WARNING: the charges I mentioned in this post are not a recommendation or even something someone should try. I was just giving an example to show why measuring on a scale is better than volume measurement using my specific rifle. These charges were worked up in a custom build and no one should shoot this hot of a load.

I only use load weighed out on a scale. The variance in velocity from volume based measurements can be crazy high. Especially when you have different lots or different moisture levels in the powders.

In my 45 cal arrowhead system I'm running a weight of BH209 (current lot). Speed is fast with a 300gr projectile. SD: 5 ES: 14 over a five shot string. At 600yds last 5shot group was 3.35" in vertical.

The volume of powder used included two pours from a clear TC measure. Using volumetric measures are not accurate enough for my tastes.
Velocity through the Labradar had SD of 16 with ES over 50. At 600yds the vertical was over 7-8" if I remember correctly.

I'm using a FX-120i scale that measures down to the hundredths of a grain. I weighed out about 20 loads using the volume…and they varied way too much for me. Can't remember exactly but ES of 6-7grains?

It's very expensive to shoot blackhorn right now…I'm burning about $3 in powder and $3 per projectile plus a LR mag primer. At $6 a pull I think I will stick to a very precise scale to measure. Plus the results speak for themselves.

A muzzleloader shooting 1/2-3/4 MOA with 2000 ftlbs energy at 600yds is pretty deadly though!

Last edited:
In my 45 cal arrowhead system I'm running 135gr by weight of BH209 (current lot). Making 2735 FPS with a 300gr projectile. SD: 5 ES: 14 over a five shot string. At 600yds last 5shot group was 3.35" in vertical.
Boys and girls............ the charges being mentioned are for CUSTOM BUILT RIFLES ONLY. Production rifles are not capable of handling these charges. Read and follow your owner's manual.

Last edited:
Boys and girls............ the charges being mentioned are for CUSTOM BUILT RIFLES ONLY. Production rifles are not capable of handling these charges. Read and follow your owner's manual.
Yeah. I'll add the don't shoot this charge work up to a charge you feel comfortable with to that post. Thanks for the reminder Encore!

Last edited:

Recent Posts