black coyote

lidsplitter

Got this fellow last sunday here in kentucky. He & two buddy's came in to some female invitational howls. This was my first coyote with my new savage predator max1 in 243.
06f64d26.jpg

here's his pelt with a 500 watt light shining on it after I cased him out
e40ff58e.jpg

That is a nice looking yote. I shot the one below several years ago. This is the only one I have seen personally, it was a young female.
coyotehighres.jpg

Awesome yote!! I shot a balck one in Iowa once. He had brindle legs too. I had him done in a full body mount. Whats the plans for yours?

Jeff

Great coyote!

I shot one several years ago. I hit him low and opened his belly with my 7 mag at 565yds, and he ran over the hill. After a pretty good chase I got within 50yds and finished him with my 22 mag. I was really excited, until I got up to him and saw the mange on his belly. I ended up having to ditch him. There have been 3 taken from that area, must have crossed with a dog somewhere along the way.

Really nice coyote! I've only ever seen one black phase coyote and I didn't get an opportunity for a shot. Love to get one of those. Congratulations!

Nice kill. I have seen a few from my area that people have shot and I have only seen one in the wild and that was in town one evening. An old high school friend of mine is a taxidermist and has a black mount that he carries with him to shows. It is beautiful.

Nice yote. I have never seen one black like that, live. My neighbor down the street got a double this week, one "normal" looking one, and one black as coal. It was a pretty impressive critter.
I rarely see the really light or really dark ones myself. I finally shot a very light colored one this year, and the hide wasn't salvageable due to bullet holes. Ugh! I don't have the luck I guess.
Congrats- I hope he ends up a rug. Shame to let a unique one like that go away.
Mark

Unusual color phase, congrats. I have only found one that black and at the time he was smarter than I was. I have seen two that were a cinnamin color and managed to take one of them. The .243 is definitely bad news for yotes.

11yrs of trapping with 30 yrs of shooting never saw a black one. That is very cool. I've seen reds, cinnamon and silvers with silver being most sought after for me.

I saw my first black one bowhunting last year. Black with what appeared to be frosting (or light undercoat). Really pretty.

Wonder if there is some domestic dog in the background somewhere? I have never seen one that dark. Have seen several that were light even near white. Saw two killed by gov. that were yellow; no dark hair at all. This one is really different. Nice trophy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.