Black Coyote

Woodycreek

We had one great set Sat. morning at about 6:15 am with five yotes responding to the caller (Fox Pro FX5). This 30-35 pound female came right in to the Fox Pro at about 100 yards. My buddy BJ took her out with his Kimber 22-250. Bang-flop center punch!

Picture093.jpg
[/img]

0517080839.jpg

I got a "black coyote" >> picture

I shot a black female coyote about 5 years ago.
Mine didn't have the white belly that yours does in the pic
Mine has some strands of grey(white) belly hairs
Goldy hair color around the ears

I shot mine @ about 300 yards in late November when there was some snow onthe ground. She had a frail body but otherwise healthy and running fine.

This was north of Edmonton, Alberta

6ie0qa.jpg

1yvfp2.jpg

2n9lv6p.jpg

I've seen two black ones down and a third got away from me cause alll i had was my bow. It was pretty much decided that the black ones have regular dog in them from somewhere in the gene pool. I love the looks of those coyote rugs.

Sure that's not someones pet? :D Rather than a result of cross breeding with a dog it is more than likely a recessive genetic trait. Much like an albino, only on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Have not seen one in person, just several on e-net, they are cool, I have taken the cross-fox before, that I have only seen 2, but I THINK are more common in some areas, has same black coat on top

I saw my first black coyote yesterday while hunting. We got out a 6 am me, my neighbor, and his buddy and my best friend. I set up on the far west side of the field. My neighbors buddy sat on the south side which wasn't too far from where i was. My neighbor sat on the opposite side of the bush towards the north and my best friend sat on the far east side. at about 6:50 there was a dog bark, and we heard a coyote howl in return. The second we heard that howl, my neighbors buddy got on the howler. and not even 5 mins later 2 yotes come running out of the bush. right in our general direction. My 22-250 was in the shop so i had to take my next best thing which was the 7mm rem mag. I know alot of power but i just wanted to decrease the population where im hunting. i didn't want to shoot the black one cause it still had a nice pelt so i took the other yote. 215 yard shot and the coyote obviously dropped in its tracks. The bang from my 7mm sent the black coyote towards the bush. About 25 seconds later we heard my neighbors 22LR go off. I went up to get my yote and then brought it back to i was sitting. about 10 mins later my neighbor came walking out of the bush with my best friend and the black coyote. 87 yard shot to the heart with a 22LR dropped the yote in its tracks.

2 yotes in just under an hour. First black coyote.

My coyote weighed 29 lbs, and the black weighed 36 lbs.

When i went bear hunting this past season i came across two cross foxes. If you dont know what that is its an all black fox with silver tips on its ears and tail. One was a male, and one was a female. God were they ever pretty. My best friend jumped out of my pickup with the 22. LR and took aim at the male and one jump and it was gone in the bush. Later that night we had a couple beaver carcasses outside of our cottage and the female cross fox came back and walked right up to our door step. She even eat right out of our hands, We couldn't have shot her. We left her alone. Disappointing trip i guess you could say, came across a bull moose and we hd no tag, came across two cross foxes and didn't take either, came across a 300 lbs bear and when we took aim 3 cubs came walking out of the bush and we didn't take her either. maybe next year

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.