Big Elk with a Flintlock.

Curious about the shot. Was the bull called in?

Thanks,

Steve

He didn't mention calling He told me they hear elk bugling in the timber and stalked to the sound. Closing the distance to 70 yards. Picking out pieces of elk through the trees. They passed several in the 330 class that were running back and forth, chaseing cows trying to avoid the herd bull. They got to him just before the light got to dim to see the sights. He said 10 seconds LOL. After the shot the bull ran 30 yards. It was a heart shot. I will try and find the picture of the heart.

I absolutely enjoy looking at that long rifle, my Father in law was a master at building them and I've taken a crack at a couple, have a Isaac Haines with a Swamped barrel about 85% complete that I really need to finish so I can hunt with it. Exceptional bull as well!

I absolutely enjoy looking at that long rifle, my Father in law was a master at building them and I've taken a crack at a couple, have a Isaac Haines with a Swamped barrel about 85% complete that I really need to finish so I can hunt with it. Exceptional bull as well!

What is your Father inlaws name. I may know him. I have been a Buckskinner for a long time.I use to build 3 or 4 rifles or smoothbores a year for myself and friends.I use to travel all over the country shooting them in competition. Mostly east of the Mississippi. But Have been to Been Avery at the National Muzzleloading Rifle Asso. Winter National shoot and the shoot at Fort Bridger Several times.It has been twelve years sence I have shot ,at a national match. I still hold several National Records.

That bull is the trophy of a lifetime, the rifle is truly a work of art.

Congrats to the builder and to the shooter.

Like I told a friend this weekend, "If I ever kill one that nice I'll never go again because topping it cold take two lifetimes I don't have left.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.