steel targets with big bores?

for those who use these often, what is the benifit of the 1/2? Is it louder? Or just more durable? And, how loud are these, can you hear the hit with earmuffs on and the target 300yds away?

Should be able too, and it is more durable. We use muffs with headphones in them. After the shot at 1100, we can here the smack usually. Sometimes if the wind is blowing the wrong way it is a little more difficult.

Tank

for those who use these often, what is the benifit of the 1/2? Is it louder? Or just more durable? And, how loud are these, can you hear the hit with earmuffs on and the target 300yds away?

The 1/2 is more durable. Never thought of one being louder than the other. At only 300 yards it will be quite loud. Mine is about 18" square and it is loud enough to hear through ear protection no problem at 800 yards.

Finally got to shoot at my 3/8" ar500 targets.

at 200 yds,

220 swift (53gr @3900) left prominent marks in the steel.
6.5x284 (140gr @ 2700)barely scratched it
445sm (240gr @ 2300) did no damage

Speed is the killer so I wont use the 220 swift at that close range anymore. I could hear the hits and the target swinging was proof of the hits.

For AR 500, check this site out...

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

I ordered the 3/8" package deal (eight targets, various sizes). Great quality, shipped to your door, price includes shipping.

FWIW, I put two pieces of rebar in the ground, ran 1" steel pipe in between with a 90 degree bend on either end that extends down the rebar 12". Then went to local shop and had them bend 3/8" steel with a bend in each end. One end "snaps" on to the steel pipe, the other fits throught the hole on the plate. Works great.

Good luck!

I was wondering what you guys are using for steel targets for these big guns. I will soon be a owner of a 338AM and currently have a 300RUM. I want to get a piece steel that I want turn to swiss in a month. I assume a piece of ar500 will be my best bet but how thick do i need 5/8 3/4 1 in. I am sure it just depend on how far away it is and it will never be closer that 600 yard any info will be great thanks.
I use a stack of four pieces of 1/4" deck plate. It's more resilient than a single piece of 1" plate as the spaces between allow for some cushioning as do the raised hashes on the deck plate itself. The plates are then welded around the outer diameter.

Beyond 400yds I've never shot through the first plate completely with my 7mm STW shooting 140gr at 3450fps.

Of course I have access to my neighbor's junkyard and as long as I drop off an equivalent weight of steel to what I take it never costs me anything but the time, gas for cutting, and welding rods.

I hang them with a sucker rod frame and 1" Chain.

I'd probably add two more layers for something as heavy as you are shooting.

Here is a partial view of a 3'X3' steel target I made made from 3 used maintainer blades that I cut in half and welded together. IF I can find a full size pic I will post it later. They are about a half inch at the thickest and you can hear the thud at a mile with muffs on. Also the blades curve and each blade is curved opposite of each other which knocks a lot of paint with each hit, this makes hits easy to spot at a mile at 22X in the scope. The closest I've shot it with the EDGE is about 500 yds. Not bade for free.

i phone pics 060.jpg

Here is a partial view of a 3'X3' steel target I made made from 3 used maintainer blades that I cut in half and welded together. IF I can find a full size pic I will post it later. They are about a half inch at the thickest and you can hear the thud at a mile with muffs on. Also the blades curve and each blade is curved opposite of each other which knocks a lot of paint with each hit, this makes hits easy to spot at a mile at 22X in the scope. The closest I've shot it with the EDGE is about 500 yds. Not bade for free.

View attachment 2104
They are also a very resilient high grade tool still with a lot of spring built into them as well.

Except for abrasive wear they are damned near indestructable.

Great choice of material.

Thats good to hear I have several more. Although I thought it
was going to be the end of my chop saw. I also didn't know how it
would hold up in the welded areas but so far it has shown no
weakness. The only downfall fall is my 3'x3' has to weigh around 250lbs.

I shoot Ar500 3/8" alot
the only time I have had any damage was with a fast 22-250 up close(100 yards0
The biggest gun we shoot is a 300 win mag and you can hear the hits out past 800 yards with ear plugs
retiredcpo

Thats good to hear I have several more. Although I thought it
was going to be the end of my chop saw. I also didn't know how it
would hold up in the welded areas but so far it has shown no
weakness. The only downfall fall is my 3'x3' has to weigh around 250lbs.
7013 Rod holds up real well on those and it's a lot easier to burn than the 7018. They run about like a 6011.

I originally made a pass with 6011s then covered it
with the 7018. I have never used 7013s I'll have to
give them a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.