big bores

bigboretkm

At what range would it be considered long range when shooting 416 or larger cal

Any info will help , I'm deciding to buy either a 416 ruger or 458 win mag

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would not consider either of the calibers that you listed good for long range. I would say that anything beyond 300 yrds would be long for them.

Your ? is so general that is hard to be fair. What purpose is the new rifle for?

Steve

I have the 458 win mag with the 26 inch bull barrel. It was given to as a gift. I predominantly shoot 405 grain barns X the 450 grain Barnes tsx or something like that and the 500/510 solids or rounded soft points.

It is no problem hitting the 600 yard gongs at the range. But the bullets are really dropping fast. you have slow speed and low BC to contend with.

Nothing on this planet has withstood my 458. On loan it has got the modern big 5 twice. and two mid 9 foot bears in Alaska. Everything has been one shot kills even the charging Bull Elephant.

The down side is I can only stand about 20 shots and I call it a day. it's not a gun for the faint hearted!

The up side is after shooting it everything else seems like a plinking gun.

Over the years I really considered a 416. But I can't see owning both. Unless you have Africa hunting I would really point you toward the .338 super magnums

The answer may also depend on how you set the gun up and whether your twist, sights, weight, stock, brake, sling, ammunition, etc... are oriented towards Big Five or long range.

The effectiveness of a shooting system is always a function of choices/compromises.

There are a lot of examples of people adapting big bore rifles and cartridges for long range use. Here's another thread as an example...
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/458-cheytac-66643/

High BC bullets are probably the key here since it's fairly easy to order/assemble a stock, action, barrel, optics, combination to suit the application.

With a high BC bullet and sufficient propellent, you should be able to reach out pretty far.

Thanks for info. As to rockymtnmt I am triying to get a rifle to fil two two uses 1 med to long range brownie gun
2 and one that would stop a charge from any of the big six in africa.
I currently own 11 chamberings in a t/c pro hunter wich include 270wby, 300 win mag, 338 federal,8mm rem mag,375 hh,375 jdj,416 rigby,450 marlin,470 NE,20ga slug, and 12ga slug however as you know there all single shot and would like something that has a quick second shot if needed.also most africian countries have a 375 cal min and some a 40 cal min.
Thanks

You might consider a .416 WBY. I have one that I had reworked and a 28" shilen barrel installed a few years back. I have not shot it in several years as I have currently gone to .338s for most of my LR stuff. At one time I had the .416 WBY shooting very impressive groups out to 700 yards, and took a Mtn goat in BC with it at 458 yards. I don't have my loading records handy, but If I remember correctly I was getting around 3050 fps with a 350 grain bullet. I was shooting Barnes, and Swift A-frame. Neither of those bullets have good BCs but with rifles like the .416 Barrett coming along in the last few years there are probably more bullet choices out there than when I was playing with mine.

Now that you have me thinking about it, I may have to get it out, mount up a scope and fire off a few rounds just for fun! gun)

Thanks for info. As to rockymtnmt I am triying to get a rifle to fil two two uses 1 med to long range brownie gun
2 and one that would stop a charge from any of the big six in africa.
I currently own 11 chamberings in a t/c pro hunter wich include 270wby, 300 win mag, 338 federal,8mm rem mag,375 hh,375 jdj,416 rigby,450 marlin,470 NE,20ga slug, and 12ga slug however as you know there all single shot and would like something that has a quick second shot if needed.also most africian countries have a 375 cal min and some a 40 cal min.
Thanks[/QUOTE

You should find some of the before modern era African Safari books. the 375 H&H 416 Rigby, and the 470 NE that you already own were used.

I go to the Safari club international shows. If you want real excitement look for some of the videos on African black death hunting with the 18 inch barrel 50 BMG. Then you just walk out to a herd of cape buff and when the bull charges you pull it up and smoke it at 50 feet away. Or the thick brush lion hunting when they jump out to get you.

I have a friend with a S&w 50 cal pistol that went to alaska bear hunting and walked out in the river to the fishing bears and took out a 9 footer when it charged him at 30 feet away.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.