BIG 8mm?

My .com friends,

I'm thinking about building a big 8mm. The bullet I chose is the Hammer Hunter 198 grain bullet. If I use the big Lapua case in a 28" barrel what velocity do you guys think is achievable?

Thanks.
Not big enough 🤣🤣🤣.

Peterson makes brass for a cartridge called a 33XC, designed by David Tubb, like a 338 lapua if it was another .400 or so of an inch longer, total case length 3.087" or a hair over 78mm. Same .580 head diameter.

Not that far of a neck down to 8mm, would be more "efficient" than the 30'cal I want to build off that case haha.

If you're gonna go big go really big. If not just do an 8mm rem mag as the easy button.

8mm RUM could be fun too, more practical and economical than my idiotic monstrosity haha.

Not big enough 🤣🤣🤣.

Peterson makes brass for a cartridge called a 33XC, designed by David Tubb, like a 338 lapua if it was another .400 or so of an inch longer, total case length 3.087" or a hair over 78mm. Same .580 head diameter.

Not that far of a neck down to 8mm, would be more "efficient" than the 30'cal I want to build off that case haha.

If you're gonna go big go really big. If not just do an 8mm rem mag as the easy button.

8mm RUM could be fun too, more practical and economical than my idiotic monstrosity haha.
Then go 8mm/378 or neck down the 338/378

Then go 8mm/378 or neck down the 338/378
Nah. First off neither lapua, adg, nor Peterson makes brass for the .378 fam. Strike one (for me)

Secondly, the XC is actually bigger than the 378 case…between the greater volume and much better brass the xc smokes the wby here.

Of course neither option makes much sense but if you're gonna do something ridiculous commit to it fully 🤣🤣🤣

I wasn't aware there was a small 8mm....🤔
My father built an 8mm-06 off a german 98 Mauser, used the military stepped 8mm mauser barrel and just reamed it with an 06' reamer and throated it appropriately. Instantly made the German rifle better after having an American cartridge shoved up it's rear end! Ha ha. 180's at 2900+, and an abundance of brass (30-06). Fantastic timber elk rifle.

I think an 8mm-.338 Norma or NAI would be a sweet cartridge as well, but wouldn't quite perform with a Lapua or LAI. I have a soft spot for the Norma though, I have put together two, and really enjoy the cartridge. Super easy to tune.