Ranging elk with Mils

denphillips2

I have looked around, but couldn't find what I am looking for.
I am trying to find average measurements for an elk (bull and cow). I want to have these just in case I can't laser range while I am hunting. Once I have the measurements, I can figure out the distance.

Thanks!
Denny

Here you go covered in this post:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...ticles-elk-hunting-what-i-have-learned-16264/

(27 inches) 3/4 mil assumption on a Bull, may want to use (24 inches) 2/3 on a Cow. So...

(.75 x 1000)/ Mils read in your scope should give you your distance. You could do a nice little range card at 50 yard increments as a quick reference so you dont have to screw with the math, difficult for some under stress. Sounds like you probably already know all this just thought I would put it in one place. :)

You can't really use averages if your off at all with your guess of a measurement of an elks chest than you are way of on your range. It is an extremely acurate way to range if you know the exact size of the object. When you play around measuring things of unknown size with your reticle and then figuring out the range you will be shocked how far of you are when you use your range finder. I played with it for quite a while sometimes I was within as close as 4 yards other times I was 130 yards off. I came to the conclusion ranging with my reticle has no use in a hunting setting for me.

Cows will measure from 22-26in depending on the age of the cow, bulls run a couple inches larger in most cases around here. My back up for a range finder issue is getting closer or going home, milling is just not reliable enough at the ranges I need to dial to be a viable option.

I have looked around, but couldn't find what I am looking for.
I am trying to find average measurements for an elk (bull and cow). I want to have these just in case I can't laser range while I am hunting. Once I have the measurements, I can figure out the distance.

Thanks!
Denny

Been there done that. Waste of time!!!!

With over 30 minutes to range a nice bull w/mils that I calibrated to be spot on I came up with 600 + yards every time over the 30 minutes.

In rolling sage brush with the occasional Russian Olive tree things get confusing for me.

2 weeks later I was in the same spot with the Leica 1200 LRF.

Distance was actually 360 yards. I would have thought I would have known that..:rolleyes:

bigngreen is spot on with his comment.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.