Beyond Belief Video

I have never seen the video myself. I have watched a couple of Butch's though.
Yes, this site is an excellent resource to learn from.
But, after you do your homework, get out in the field and give it a whirl and learn from your mistakes and when you succeed.

wildcat:

I bought the video at Cabela's in PA. I paid 14.95. It was reduced from 24.95 The three video pack was 119.99. Too much for me.

I am new here but not new to long range shooting. I grew up with the men who formed the Original 1000 yd. benchrest club in Bodines, PA Before having the club they shot from farm to farm. That was at least 40 yrs. ago. The biggest problem that I now have is there is nowhere to shoot long range. I now live in NY on the PA border.

My wife an I have shot antelope at long range. Her longest is 526 yds. and mine 483 yds. She uses a 25-06 and I use a .300 Win. I sight both rifles in for 300 yds. and hold high out to 500 yds. Both rifles shoot under 1/2" at 100 yds. and hitting is no problem out to 500 yds. We are also avid groundhog, rockchuck and prairie dog hunters. Here in the east we try to shoot the groundhogs from at least 300 yds.

Thanks to all who replied.

Tom

Tom

Ivo,

We must be watching different videos because no where on the video I watched did it say a word about what cartridge he was using and there were no white dots on the steel plates either.

Maybe John caught enough flack for that from experienced shooters that be had to put out an undated version of the video.

In talking with John, He told me that he has used his version of the 7mm STW using a special throat speicifically for the Barnes bullets. That may have changed as well over time but when I spoke with him this was what he was using and that is what he said he used in the videos at that time.

Again, from the sounds of it, it appears there are more then one version of his videos out there.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

My version also does not state what caliber he actually is using. Sometimes he'll say what bullet was used, but thats great, what freaking caliber!?!? About all I got from the video was him saying how far they were. Just seems like a doofus if you ask me.

BTW, what the heck kinda scope, or turrets is he using?? They dont really look to well made. Almost looks like stoney point knobs??

Mabey they sent a different version of the video to Canada /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.
In any event I did enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone getting into long range shooting.

thats the "how to shoot long range" series he put out. seems like he covers that stuff, and shows some flyers on paper, that are not in beyond belief

like everyone else said, fun to watch, and I sure wish it was as easy as just dialing up and lettin er fly. but that would take all the "fun" out of shooting i guess...

IVO,
I also have the video and is different than what you explain. But I'll say this, I did really enjoy it, I don't believe there is nothing misleading done on purpose, apparently John uses three different sets of turrets for three different sets of elevations, I do not like that system, but other than that the video was and is a lot of fun to watch and I did enjoy it! I do want to keep mine!

I have and enjoyed the video, great footage. I am a dial up for the conditions kind of guy myself, I am not a real big ballistic reticule or cam fan. Out to a certain distance they are fast and work well, but only to a certain distance. Everyone has their preferances, likes and dislikes as long as they are happy with the results more power to them. There are some really good things to pick up on in the video here is one thing most people don't pick up on. In the opening sequence when they tag the bull elk at 743 yard or so, if you watch carefully for the hit and impact spot you will note it is pretty far back maybe even behind the diaphram. However it is high keeping with their preference for the high shoulder shot and tags the spine dropping him in his tracks. I also have been using the high shoulder shot for years, but until I watched that footage it never occured to me the windage advantage that it provided. I'll explain, I rarely make elevation mistakes usually elevation is spot on. Windage is of course the deal breaker the high shoulder shot allows for some windage room if the elevation is good just like the opening sequence shows. I feel like you need to take your mechanical advantage in windage when ever possible. John makes several good points in the video about practice etc. The only real setback I see is that the uneducated shooter gets the impression that if you get a scope setup like he has that you laz, dial and shoot, we all know there is a little more to it than that.

Can someone email me Johns phone number or email address? I just had a 7mm STW built that used his reamer and need to ask him a question about it. I went on there best of the west site but they only have the show contact info.
[email protected]

[ QUOTE ]
I'll explain, I rarely make elevation mistakes usually elevation is spot on. Windage is of course the deal breaker the high <font color="blue">shoulder shot allows for some windage room </font> if the elevation is good just like the opening sequence shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice! Thanks for bringing that up! You're right, I did not think much of it, but I'm sure glad you brought it up.

There seems to be some confusion over the videos. The first is 'Beyond Belief' which is the hunting video. Burns states that this is not a 'how to' video. The 'how to' video followed the first one and is a 3 DVD collection called "How to shoot Beyond Belief". It is this set of videos that made reference to the use of the 7 Rem Mag, exterior ballistics, accurizing rifles and the equipment used on the first video "Beyond Belief".

Precision Shooting Optic

The scope they used at that time was a Leupold 4.5-14 X 50 with a custom reticle done by Burns. Link is above. Have since talked with the guys at Best of the West on the phone. John Burns is no longer with the group. Bob Beeman and Bobby Barrera seem to be the hosts on the new editions. The guy I talked with on the phone stated that Burns was no longer with them and that they are now going to a scope modified by GunWerks. Link is below.

http://www.gunwerks.com/balisticlabels.html

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

[ QUOTE ]

... If you hit anywhere on that plate the bullet frags would instantly pop the balloons. Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to think of it, even if you hit so low as to miss the plate, you spray enough dirt to pop a balloon.

Now I know why Shawn uses a metal plate and not balloons
Me, I'm sticking with balloons - just hit withing 5 yards and you score. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.