280 Remington for 1000 yards and beyond

@novaman64 your build is pretty much identical to mine except I am going with the EH1 stock (with the Manner mini BDL chassis), 3 Port Mini Mag Muscle break, leaving the gun in a matte stainless finish, and haven't decided on which glass for sure. Do you think you need the Wyatt box in the 280 AI? Do you know what the available COAL is for a factory Remington box is?

Not sure about the Wyatt box. Dallas Lane recommended it, and he is doing the initial load workup, I am primarily going to be shooting 168VLD's out of it, so note sure what the COAL will be, I know Dallas has built a few of these though, so sure he has a load thatll be pretty close...

thanks ramrod . i did call cooper they said they will take care of it shipping and all . just wanted to know if anyone else had the problem

Not sure about the Wyatt box. Dallas Lane recommended it, and he is doing the initial load workup, I am primarily going to be shooting 168VLD's out of it, so note sure what the COAL will be, I know Dallas has built a few of these though, so sure he has a load thatll be pretty close...

I would add the box just in case you decide to shoot some 180's out of it, honestly if you're trying to push 1k+ you'll be far better off with the 180's. At least that was my experience with my 280.

I would add the box just in case you decide to shoot some 180's out of it, honestly if you're trying to push 1k+ you'll be far better off with the 180's. At least that was my experience with my 280.

Ya, Im all for the longer mag boxes, definitely opens up options for the future. I will need to run the calcs again, but If I recall correctly, for the difference in velocity I didnt see a huge advantage up to 1000 yards using the 180 over the 168 in a 280ai... Again, this is going off of memory... Have you tried or ran numbers on the Matrix 190vld?

Ya, Im all for the longer mag boxes, definitely opens up options for the future. I will need to run the calcs again, but If I recall correctly, for the difference in velocity I didnt see a huge advantage up to 1000 yards using the 180 over the 168 in a 280ai... Again, this is going off of memory... Have you tried or ran numbers on the Matrix 190vld?

Given that just about every 284 comp shooter is shooting the 180's (hybrids, not VLD's) I'd say there is something to be gained. Out here you need every advantage against the wind you can get. I haven't tried the matrix yet b/c the BC is basically the same as the berger, but if I could find actual bc's showing there is a gain by going to the 190's I'd do it in a heart beat.

Given that just about every 284 comp shooter is shooting the 180's (hybrids, not VLD's) I'd say there is something to be gained. Out here you need every advantage against the wind you can get. I haven't tried the matrix yet b/c the BC is basically the same as the berger, but if I could find actual bc's showing there is a gain by going to the 190's I'd do it in a heart beat.

What velocities are you getting out of the 180's?

What velocities are you getting out of the 180's?

I've never chrono'd it but by drops I think its 2650-2750 w/ H4831 out of a 24" tube. It's been awhile since I've toyed with this gun but it loves 180s, berger and SMK, both were easy sub 0.5moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts