280 Remington for 1000 yards and beyond

mtcaddis

I want to build a rifle that I can use for every day hunting and also long distance target shooting with the idea that practicing at long range targets with the same caliber and equipment will make me more effective at hunting at shorter ranges.

I am currently hunting with an old .280 Remington model 700 and I really like the cartridge especially since the ballistic charts make it look superior to the 308 win.

Is it possible to build a do-it-all rifle that you can carry easily in the mountains and still hit targets at 1000-1200 yards? Can I hit targets precisely with a bedded laminate wood stock, 22-24 inch sporter contour lilja barrel, and higher end 4-16x50 turret scope? Or would I have to go all out and get an aluminum chassis and a heavy contour 26 inch barrel which would be too much to carry through the brush for short range deer?

.280 Ackley Improved would be my recommendation. You can even use the .280 Rem brass you already have.

For long range shooting, I would recommend a 26" barrel, preferably with a thicker contour than a standard sporter barrel, maybe a Krieger #3 or something around that contour. My .280 AI build will be on a 700 action with a 26" Bartlein 5R 1:9 barrel in Remington Varmint contour.

1000-1200 yds would be a stretch. You could build light and go to 800-900 yds. Build heavier if you want to go further. The 280 and 280 A.I. are running out of gas at 1000 yd anyways. Certainly at 1200 yds on game animals. I've got two 280 AIs and two 7mm Rem Mags. Shooting 168gr Berger VLDs. Even the 7mm RMs lack energy and velocity at 1200 yds on large game.

Most folk aren't going to be able to pilot a lightweight rifle past 1000 yds. That's why most build heavier to target game at the longer ranges.

My first build was a savage 280 w/ a criterion light varmint barrel in a mcm edge stock, I've shot <0.25" with it. Weighs in at about 9.5lbs. I tried shooting f-class with it and needless to say it kicked the crap out of me. I replaced the stock with a choate and it handled the comps much better. It will handle 1k fine, how much further I do not know.

I would decide on what weight you want to meet and how much target shooting you will really do with it. On the edge stock its ok for the targets but I certainly wouldn't over do it, your shoulder will thank you. The nice thing for me was there was no shift in POI swapping between the 2 stocks.

MT caddis- having shot in competition out to 1000 yards my experience is WEIGHT helps. see what the F-class rifles have as their components. action barrel , stock, trigger. The .280 is a great long range round. Hunting rifles are a compromise on weight.

In my opinion the .280 for long range TARGET is fine. If I can send a bullet with a medium BC (.495-.600) out of my 30-06 to 1000 yards. Then a high BC 7mm bullet of some flavor will do it better. Targets are different than animals I'm don't have enough experience with the .280 to know how far to stretch it on game. My 30-06 is a medium- heavy sporter contour and it holds at least 1moa to 1000. If you get your load right contour has little effect on bullets. If you get consistent harmonics you can shoot a sporter to 1000. It just seems harder to find a consistent load. What I have found is trigger weight had a major effect on long range accuracy. If I was going to build a rifle it would definitely have a 26 in barrel with a varmint contour. If I have that option..

I'm in the process of gathering components for a long range hunting rifle in 280 AI right now. I am going to be running a Stiller Predator LA, Jewell trigger, Bartlein #3 contour barrel at 25" plus brake, in a Manners Elite Hunter 1 stock, haven't decide on glass for sure, but the whole rig should come in right around 10 pounds. I plan on shooting this gun out to 1000 on whitetail culling doe and out to 1500 on steel. I am having PTG build me a custom reamer with .188" freebore so I can shoot up to the 180gr VLD"s seated out pretty decent. I plan on running the 150gr and 168gr LRAB out of it for the most part, but wanted to be able to shoot 180's if the need ever arises. As mentioned the recoil won't be fun to shoot all day with heavies, but I feel the Muscle break should make it tolerable to shoot for a fairly long range session.

With 180 hybrids in the 280 you will have about 1000ftlb at 1k. That's pushing them at 2800fps.

I have built a few in my days but I thought I would try something different ,and went to a Cooper 280 Ackley Excaliber I shoot a 160 AB at 3000 ft/sec ,and it is a tac driver I shoot this thing out to 800 no issues ,and it is 8LBS scoped so it is really tolerable to tote around MNTS . I actually left my Kimber at home this year ,and used this as my sheep rifle you cannot go worn with this outfit IMHO. If you buy a classic with a wood stock you can shave 1LB of weight of gun also .

Might want to check this thread out...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f116/lightweight-280-ai-1-155-yds-132457/

I am having the same gunsmith (Dallas Lane of Lane Precision Rifles) build me a lightweight 280ai. Should have it in a month or two, will be definitely seeing what it can do at longer ranges when I get it.

Mine is going to be a Stiller Predator action, 20moa rail, Bartlein #3 barrel 1:9 twist finished at 25", jewell trigger, BDL floor plate, 2 port brake and a thread protector, Wyatts box, ceracoted, sitting in a fully bedded Manners EH-3 stock, topped with NF light rings with anti cant and a Leupold VX6 3-18x44... Chambered in 280ai (traditional ackley). Hoping to be sub 8 lbs with glass.

ramrod did you have a problem with the cooper mag ? i'm having a feeding issue scratching the bullet

Hey Bubba I have had no problems like that I would call Cooper on that one but so far nothing but good with this outfit and no wait time like a build. I was going to build a 6.5 284 but I think I will go Cooper again.

@novaman64 your build is pretty much identical to mine except I am going with the EH1 stock (with the Manner mini BDL chassis), 3 Port Mini Mag Muscle break, leaving the gun in a matte stainless finish, and haven't decided on which glass for sure. Do you think you need the Wyatt box in the 280 AI? Do you know what the available COAL is for a factory Remington box is?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.