.244 Ackley and 1000 yards

Tim,

Doesn't matter what you shoot. At some point, you are going to have to learn to dope the wind, light, flocks of birds. The 6mm is a great place to start. It also sounds like this is the best shooter you have.

The 06 with a heavy 30cal is not going to be such a good setup because muzzle vel. will be too low. I would be suprised if you got much over 2500fps with a 220gr MK. Even with a 190, the 105gr 6mm is going faster and will have a better BC.

With you 7Rem mag, you can easily shoot the 162gr amax. An excellent bullet and cartridge combo. Only downside is I doubt that your factory barrel will give you the accuracy you need for target shooting.

Either way, have fun with your experimenting and harvest. Go burn some powder...

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, you're no doubt correct in your conclusions. I ordered some tapered bases for the .244 and the 06 Mauser. The 06 is pushing 180gr Sierra's at 2930fps. I'm not sure what a 190 or 200gr would do, but I'll probably try. The 7 is very accurate at least at close range. This has become my coyote gun. With 130gr bullets it groups 3/8" at 100M and scoots along at 3500fps. Not bad for an ADL. Thanks for the help, I'll now begin that adventure of Long Distance Gunning.
Tim

Tim

The reason you cannot find any 30 cal Bergers is that they are having problems with jackets and cannot get any good bullets out and they are replacing thousands of bad ones. Try JLK bullets (Jimmy Knox) look at OK Webers website or phone 541-747-0458 or JLK direct at 479-331-4194 he has 190s and 210s. I shoot the 190s in a 300 wsm and they are great. They have much tighter tolerances than others I have seen. He has good 6mm bullets also

6mm $19 per 100
30 cal $25 per 100 direct from JLK

Good luck

Tim,

Glad you are on your way to enjoying long range shooting. The performance from your 06 is great. Give those other bullets a try. They may work well for you. I presently shoot 155gr AMax and have had excellent plinking accuracy from 1500 to 1960 yds. Maybe a lighter bullet will work for what you want?

With your 7Rem shooting so well, give the 162gr Amax a try. Using H1000, Retumbo or similar, you should be able to get 3000fps. If it shoots, this will make a great long range hunting and target load.

With any of your rifles, have a look at the shape of the group. If there is obvious stringing, change the powder. You can decrease your group size about 1/2 by changing powders that don't string. Match primers help too.

Good luck...

Jerry

BH, I think I'll check into JLK bullets. I remember years ago when the gun mags began to write about him and his bullets. Looks as though the price is right too. Thanks for the info.

Jerry, I believe I have some 155 A-MAX. I am surprised they would reach out so far.
The 7 does so well, I have to try it out there too.
I thought that stringing was due to a bedding problem.
Even though I have been handling firearms since I was 8 years old, there is so much I don't know. It seems to take years of shooting and loading to be able to apply the knowledge learned to be proficient at this sport. It always helps to have a friendly who has already done the homework.

Much thanks to all,

Tim

Yeah, those 155 amax surprised me too. Much flatter then expected.

As a rule of thumb, vertical stringing is related to the load. Horizontal stringing tends to be more bedding related. The above assumes wind, parallax, and shooter error are eliminated.

Let's us know how your shooting works out.

Good luck...

Jerry

Jerry, I guess I've figured heavier is better because of the higher BC. I do like speed. I'll have to load some 155 A's. I can shoot about 500yds on my own property. If I can get permission of several land owners around me I could shoot a mile. But even though we live in the sticks, people can be found anywhere out here any time of the day or night. You have to be real careful. But living where you can shoot is a real advantage.
Who manufactures Retumbo? I've heard of it, but never seen it around here. I have taken a liking to Vihtavuori and use it as much as I can. Busns clean and cool.
Saturday should be the day, hope it don't rain and they can work me in. Thanks for the info on stringing.

Tim

Tim,

Retumbo is made by Hodgdon and is their new temp insensitive extruded magnum powder. They just canned H870 which has made us all a little sad.

Good luck this weekend. Hope you get some good shooting in...

Jerry

Hi,
FYI results are in of todays shoot. The .244 was a bust because the tapered mounts had not arrived and ran out of elevation as we were sighting in with the standards in place. Will try again after mounts changed.
The 7 sighted in and shot first ten rounds very well until something happened. Then it walked right off the paper. The thin barrel was very hot and the problem came after an attempt was made to adjust for windage. The spotter said it might be in the scope. He also said that this weapon was a hunting rifle. I agree. First couple of shots from a cold barrel are right on the money.
The 06 Ackley did the best. It shot in the black with a couple of X's. Only fired 10 rounds including sighting in. I think It will make a good shooter once I find the right combo.
1000 yds is great and am looking forward to going it again.
Thanks to you guys!
Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts