Beyond Belief Video

According to John Burns in the video its very similar to a 7mm STW with a few tweaks for accuracy. Hope that helps.

300rumshooter

wildcat, if you can't find it let me know and I'll send one over to you. We had 2 or 3 at work for promos. I don't think they've ever been played.

There are obvious questions to the method demonstrated by Beyond Belief but either way it is still and fun to watch video and it can really inspire people to push there limits in shooting. If you watch the video please dont think that the methods shown to quickly dial for shots at 400-500 yds will work the same at 700-1000yds, it dont work that way. This arguement has been done to death and thankfully so. For game hunting his methods works well enough for 300 to around 500yd shooting, the same thing is applied in various reticles currently.

Watch the video and get interested in the sport, when you wanna really push the limits dive in and really learn the art.

good luck
steve

Lerch,

But for taking game from 0 to 500 yards you have a rifle that makes dialing up a waste of time!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There are several areas in the video that caught my attention. I will give John the benefit of the doubt because I would hope I would get the same in return.

But in the one video where he has the young man shooting at ballons at various ranges I threw a BS flag as soon as I heard the first shot hit what the ballons were attached to.

Those were metal plates. And pretty sizable plates at that. If you hit anywhere on that plate the bullet frags would instantly pop the balloons. If you notice there are no close in voom shots to show you where the bullets impact.

Again, I know this was just a demo to show how his system works but for anyone other then a newbie, it would have been much more impressive had he had the balloons on sheets of cardboard rather then steel plates.

Again, I am not saying anything that John claims is dishonest or did not happen but there are enough small things to really get your attention and make you question his videos a bit after seeing them.

Just my opinion. I would agree they are entertaining to watch but I would also say there are probably a couple dozen guys on LRH that could do the same or more impressive shooting displays so if you want to learn about LRH I would just stick around here, read alot, put what you read to actual field practice and testing and you will be on the right track.

JMHO!!

Kirby Allen(50)

The video is fun to watch, but who doesn't like watching game shot at longer ranges?? I just dont like how he doens't say what hes using for any of it. I second Kirbys advice. There are several people on here that could have done the same thing, but probly 2x better, and get into detailed information. I never thought of the fragments hitting the metal and then hitting the balloon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I hope its not misleading to newbies who think that just because they have a heavy barreled rifle and a big zoom target scope and rangefinder that there gonna go out and shoot deer and elk past 500 yards with regularity. Like Lerch said, it dont work that way. In my opinion, after 500 yards is a whole new ballgame. The wind, not to mention so many other variables play a huge role in making 1st shot hits past 500 yards.

Kirby is right about the balloons but in a minor defense of the video -- I can't tell you how many hundreds of gophers I've killed in Montana <font color="red"> PURPOSELY SHOOTING LOW </font> with my 30-06. The shrapnel blast of dirt/rock always did the trick.

I can't wait to try the same approach with my APS/Lilja 375 RUM.

If you're serious about long range shooting this forum is the best place to learn.

BeyondBelief

He actually states in his video that he shoots a staight up 7 MM REM MAG with 168 gr Berger bullets which he also tests on the video. He has used STWs, RUMs, and WSMs but keeps going back to the standard 7mm.
He also states that any first round hit on the steel plate will cause the balloon to pop and thats why he has the painted white dot underneath the center of the balloon to determine where the bullet impact was.
In another segment he shows where he is shooting groups on a target at 200 yards where he has a flyer that he blames himself for. This is to prove there are no camera games during the making of the video.
John Burns says he is more than happy shooting 1 MOA in the field and that is good enough to hunt long range, I agree.

I think its a great video and a great learning tool.(The How to Shoot Beyond Belief video series)

Ivo

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.