Better 6mm (not 243W) for hunting? Which one?

If you reload you might want to think about the 243 WSSM...I don't know what action you plan on building on.

I shot a mtn goat with a .243 Kimber Montana 11 years ago. I used Federal Fusion ammo with they're 90 grain Fusion bullet. 302 yards penetrated both shoulders and was found under the hide on the off side. In the time it took to cycle the bolt and get back on target he tipped over. This was, according to the taxidermist, an exceptionally heavy goat. 9 1/8". Not record book but a trophy in my book.

Totally agree. I used a 338 Lapua to take my mountain goat. He was dead before I could rack another round. My buddy shot his with a 180 VLD in his 7 Rem Mag. Took longer to die and went off the side of the mountain. They spent all day finding and extracting that billy.
From 'I want a 6mm' all the way to the suggested need for a 338 Lapua. Fantastic! I have a couple of friends that are still shooting the 25mm quite regularly. They Zero at 1000 yards and are consistently 1/4MOA to 2000. Great versatility with HE, AP, TI, and Depleted Uranium options and the great thing is zero recoil. Vehicle suspension takes it all. It is true, shot placement is critical or a 'goat' could get spread across the side of the mountain with some pieces flipping off the side, but tracking is seldom an issue. And for those pesky 'day-shy' yotes you have the thermal sighting. A must, really.

6.5 300B I have experience with the 244 and it shoot 80 grain rignt on the money and Mine did the same with 100 gr bullets and i mean real accurate with them. Mabe the 1-12 twist was a joke because the 244 I had shot the hell out of those 100 grainers.

I shot a mtn goat with a .243 Kimber Montana 11 years ago. I used Federal Fusion ammo with they're 90 grain Fusion bullet. 302 yards penetrated both shoulders and was found under the hide on the off side. In the time it took to cycle the bolt and get back on target he tipped over. This was, according to the taxidermist, an exceptionally heavy goat. 9 1/8". Not record book but a trophy in my book.

Like you, I tend to think .243/6mm bullet of appropriate construction in the right place to start. It is certainly better than a miss with a "Magnum". With a soft shoulder and a bad back, the last thing I want is to stalk something with a heavy magnum. A light rifle I can shoot accurately will take a lot of stuff.

Pronghorn are about as 'exotic' as I can see right now. A mountain goat is not likely in the near term. Realistically, 99% of my shots that draw blood will be on hogs, deer, coyotes and, dogs while working cattle, cutting firewood or, out enjoying a nice walk in the country.

Buying a 1% or once per lifetime dream hunt rifle to do 99% of my hunting has the priorities upside down if you ask me! When, or if, I go on a mountain goat hunt, I will have time to reassess my rifle needs. I can rebarrel a 300WM Remington Sendero or a Long action for some 06' based variant if that's what the hunt calls for and my health supports. Right now, I need a softer shooter and a lighter rifle that is more than my 5.56 AR-15. A 280AI is tempting but, weight and recoil are not compatible with my shoulder right now and I don't want to develop bad habits. A solid 6mm ticks all the boxes today as I don't have a Mountain Goat hunt booked and I don't see any Pronghorn in my near term future. Dogs, deer and hogs? Yes from my front or back porch. ;)

Put any high bc bullet in that 244 and it will keyhole. Yes all the 6mms are 243 dia. But the 6creed comes with an 8 twist barrel and can shoot virtually any 6mm bullet. The 243 and 6mmrem can not. A factory 243 can't shoot 105 Berger's or 107 mk or 115dtacs. Or any other bullet in this class. Don't even pretend you can do it in a 244 or 6mmrem. Not going to happen. Not unless you rebarrel them. Even the 240 wby can't shoot the high bc 6mms. Any 100 grain bullet shooting in a 244 is a short stubby bullet and will not have a high bc.
Shep

My 243 Winchester is long gone. I want another 6mm mid-range variant mainly for hunting and pest elimination. I'm thinking about a 6XC but, I'm uncommitted at this time.

I do not want a true wildcat or barrel burner. I'm not a fan of Short Magnums or 'boutique' cartridges from manufacturers (i.e. Ruger, Nosler, etc.). I don't expect to see velocities with heavier options above 3,000FPS in a 24"~26" barrel. Something that won't excessively heat or otherwise lead to short barrel life (throat erosion / cracking) is important to me. I prefer to stick with something with factory brass if not factory loaded ammunition. I can reload so, something with limited support like a 6x47L is a possibility.

For hunting options, deer mainly but, I intend to take a Pronghorn and possibly a Mountain Goat so, I need something with "legs". Pest elimination is mainly Coyotes and 'feral' domestic dogs but, I do see feral hogs occasionally. Reasonable recoil (i.e. not excessive) with weight on the lighter side (6#~7# no scope) is important as my dominant shoulder has had surgery already and is a bit 'soft'. So with a bit more oomph than a 243 Winchester but, not a barrel burner without excessive recoil, what would you recommend? 6XC, 6 Creedmoor, 6x47L, 6mm Remington or, ...?

TIA,
Sid
Mate, I had a 6mm Rem built on a Sako L61 action many years ago by the late Bill Marden here in Sydney Australia, with a No.3 MAB barrel (all blued) in a beautiful walnut stock. That rifle did everything I asked of it from very big Billy Goats, Fallow Deer, wild Dogs, Roos, and Foxes using 70 grainers. Factory ammo as you know is available but I used to reload everything using either IMR 4895 or 4831 depending on the pill, an absolute tackholer and very flat shooter. Unfortunately I listened to my Ex and sold it for a song, a very sad reminder today. So I would go another one should I have the need, after 2 shoulder replacement on the same right shoulder, and at 75 yo there is almost no recoil to hurt, just my two bobs worth, cheers and happy decision making
Neil
NSW Australia

Put any high bc bullet in that 244 and it will keyhole. Yes all the 6mms are 243 dia. But the 6creed comes with an 8 twist barrel and can shoot virtually any 6mm bullet. The 243 and 6mmrem can not. A factory 243 can't shoot 105 Berger's or 107 mk or 115dtacs. Or any other bullet in this class. Don't even pretend you can do it in a 244 or 6mmrem. Not going to happen. Not unless you rebarrel them. Even the 240 wby can't shoot the high bc 6mms. Any 100 grain bullet shooting in a 244 is a short stubby bullet and will not have a high bc.
Shep
True about the stabilization of the longs in the 10 or 12 twist. Given the ballistic advantage of a 105, 107, or even a 115 at creed velocities I would still take the 6mm Rem or 240Bee with a 100 grain partition or 90 grain Accubond/Scirocco. All of the above are probably poor choices past 450 unless it's paper or P-dogs and for me I'll take a sturdy bullet with speed over the slow bomb inside 500 every time.

Stuff heavies in a 6 creed and stuff it full of rl26, it'll haul the mail. Excellent brass available too. It's a win. If u was wild catin, 6mm-284!

105 hybrids. I don't shoots amaxs anymore. I still have some 208amaxs in 30 that are great bullets. The Creed with rl26 will do over 3300 in a 26 inch barrel with 105s. But the 6slr is my go to 6 and then 243ai. As far as Creed's go I'm partial to the 6.5.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.