Better 6mm (not 243W) for hunting? Which one?

The standard 243 burns barrels because of the shallow shoulder angle and short neck. Even a 243ai will have more barrel life shooting more powder at faster speeds. The slr fixes the regular 243.
Shep
agree 100%. With the 243ai, you can use all the 243 brass You have, and fireform easily from 243 factory, and 308 cases. Lapua brass available for this.
100gn at 3200++fs is an amazing deer-hog-etc killer.
Next option could be 6XC with and exceptional brass quality from Peterson, and assured accuracy.
Good luck with your project Sir.
V

my third suggestion will be the 6MM-06 it has legs, it can have the tight twist barrel and use the heaviest slugs. 6MM-06 is just about the 6MM Sako.
I was analyzing the chance to build a 6-06ai. At what speed do you calculate that the 105gn bullets can be launched? I think that H1000 could go fine...

I have a 6mm 06ai. It has a 27 inch Shilen. It beats the 240wby by 100fps. I have not tried rl26 in it yet. I expect with rl26 to get another 50 to 100fps over h1000.
Shep
at what speed do you launch the 105-108gn bullets? I want to know if it is worth the change to a 6-06ai .. (tikka action no matter the action length)
Thank you sir
V

Think about the 6mm AI. The long neck should give a longer barrel life, and the AI will give it a little more push.

I am not a fan of any 06 case improved under 7mm cal but the 6/06 Ai would be = to the 240 weatherby . A 6mm-Remington AI would be the same as the 6mm/06. but why go to all the trouble they will not out perform the old 6mm Remington enough for all the trouble

My 243 Winchester is long gone. I want another 6mm mid-range variant mainly for hunting and pest elimination. I'm thinking about a 6XC but, I'm uncommitted at this time.

I do not want a true wildcat or barrel burner. I'm not a fan of Short Magnums or 'boutique' cartridges from manufacturers (i.e. Ruger, Nosler, etc.). I don't expect to see velocities with heavier options above 3,000FPS in a 24"~26" barrel. Something that won't excessively heat or otherwise lead to short barrel life (throat erosion / cracking) is important to me. I prefer to stick with something with factory brass if not factory loaded ammunition. I can reload so, something with limited support like a 6x47L is a possibility.

For hunting options, deer mainly but, I intend to take a Pronghorn and possibly a Mountain Goat so, I need something with "legs". Pest elimination is mainly Coyotes and 'feral' domestic dogs but, I do see feral hogs occasionally. Reasonable recoil (i.e. not excessive) with weight on the lighter side (6#~7# no scope) is important as my dominant shoulder has had surgery already and is a bit 'soft'. So with a bit more oomph than a 243 Winchester but, not a barrel burner without excessive recoil, what would you recommend? 6XC, 6 Creedmoor, 6x47L, 6mm Remington or, ...?

TIA,
Sid
Get a Ruger Precision in 6 CR

I'm building a 243 AI right now. I'm planning on developing loads using Berger's new 109gr hybrid, H1000, Lapua brass and CCI BR2's. I'll be sending it down a 26" x caliber 416R 1:7 5R tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.