Better 6mm (not 243W) for hunting? Which one?

the 257 Roberts is a mighty fine round but handloading may be part of it seems ammo is not always available

I have a ER Shaw 257 Roberts AI with a 26 inch barrel and It can chrono near 25-06 with the the same length barrel. Brass or ammo are non existent. The parent case is 7mm Mauser. So I have bought 100's of them and just sent them through the die and do full load AI fire forming. Very accurate rifle

Its defiantly in the same class of cartridges, different parent brass, a little bit of case capacity difference but either one is a fine little "big" cartridge that loaded with the right bullets punches above its weight class. It especially is performs well when throated for the 90-95gr bullets with the higher BC. And the little monos perform well also. With the right choice of bullet its a little hammer on deer and antelope. And they are so fun to shoot, very addicting.
Actually, both the 6 TCU and the 204 Ruger's parent case ideally is the 222Rem mag. You can make 6-7 TCU cases with 223 Rem. brass, but the necks will be shorter.

Actually, both the 6 TCU and the 204 Ruger's parent case ideally is the 222Rem mag. You can make 6-7 TCU cases with 223 Rem. brass, but the necks will be shorter.
Ok, I thought they were off a .223 case, I haven't looked at them for years. Back in the early 80's I was going to barrel one up for my Contender when I was into hunting with handguns. The nice thing about the .204R its like a 222Rem Mag that has been improved and taper blown out, yet it is a simple neck up, no real fire forming.

I owned the 7tcu and just fire formed the 223 cases. I just went out and shot 100's of 223 round through it. 120 gr 7mm were great for silhouette shooting and antelope

I used to shoot IMHSA in the 80's with my Contender using 7 TCU. I just loaded up a 100 rounds of 6.5 TCU last night for the contender. The thing that's got me back on the Contender is Sharps brothers just came out with a new grip that will accept a folding pistol brace, making pistol length barrels a backpack hunting possibility. I have many barrels that would be perfect for that application.

I used to shoot IMHSA in the 80's with my Contender using 7 TCU. I just loaded up a 100 rounds of 6.5 TCU last night for the contender. The thing that's got me back on the Contender is Sharps brothers just came out with a new grip that will accept a folding pistol brace, making pistol length barrels a backpack hunting possibility. I have many barrels that would be perfect for that application.

Now THAT is an interesting idea! I have a contender frame gathering dust. Hmm....what chambering to get....7 Waters maybe? Wonder how fast a 6tcu can push a dtac.

The problem with a stock 6 TCU is gonna be the twist rate which is 1 in 10". I can't even stabilize that round in my 6 mm Remington with at that twist. Just not enough twist rate or velocity. The best you could do is probably an 85-100 grain running around 2700 for the 85 and 2586 for the 100 grain. I did used to shoot the 154 grain SST out of my 7 TCU at 1900 fps and shot it out to 500 meters. I could hit 6 out of 10 rams shooting the rifle silhouette course with a scoped pistol.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.