Best Varmit caliber and barrel twist?

tdv75098

I am in the process of deciding what caliber to rebarrel my Remington 700 BDL 30-06. The new caliber will be primarily used for varmit shooting out to 500 yds but also deer hunting for my daughter (she is 12). I am strongly considering the .243 with 55gr BT's for varmit and up to 105gr partitions for deer. I plan to use a Lilja 3 groove barrel but don't know the best twist rate. I am not ruling out other calibers, I just need suggestions to consider. Thanks for your help.

Are you a reloader? For factory the 6mm remington puts a little more heat behind the bullet. How about the 6mm-06 your exsisting magazine and feed will work great. Here's an interesting quote.

The 87grn V-MAX from my 6mm-06,moving at 3520,is absolutely devastating on ground squirrels.At 100-200 yards,any squirrel within a foot of the one I shot,dies from the bone fragmets of the shot squirrel. I shot a ground squirrel at 638 yards and still blew it to pieces.I shoot sub 1/4" groups at 100 yards.
Submitted by: Varminator 1/26/2004

TomVan
I'm in the process of finishing the stock for a 243 that I will be using for exactly the same thing you are. I went with a Rock Creek barrel in an 8 twist because I wanted to be sure I could stabilize the heavier bullets (105 Amax). I wasn't to worried about a varmit bullet, with all of them out there I'm sure I can find one that will shoot.
Chris

I have a 6mm Br custom gun with a Lilja barrel. I went with the 3 groove 1 in 8 twist. I shoot 70gr Nosler balistic tips for dogs and 107gr MK for long range. I have been very pleased with the barrel. The gun holds .5 moa.

Not a deer, but my friends wife made an excellent shot with the 6mm-06 on a ProngHorn drinking across a 20 or so acre small watering pond. I can't remember if it was a 100 or 105 grain. Our guess that it was 400 yards and he told his wife that since it was sighted in at 200 to aim about 20 inches high.

You saw it shake with impact and it kind of staggered forward before it's legs gave out.

She held the gun across the pickup hood - boom. You can put enough speed behind the 6mm bullets that they really work in very light recoil guns. Just perfect for the daughter or wife.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.