Best Varmit caliber and barrel twist?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by tdv75098, Jan 11, 2005.

1. tdv75098

tdv75098 Well-Known Member

I am in the process of deciding what caliber to rebarrel my Remington 700 BDL 30-06. The new caliber will be primarily used for varmit shooting out to 500 yds but also deer hunting for my daughter (she is 12). I am strongly considering the .243 with 55gr BT's for varmit and up to 105gr partitions for deer. I plan to use a Lilja 3 groove barrel but don't know the best twist rate. I am not ruling out other calibers, I just need suggestions to consider. Thanks for your help.

2. budlight

budlight Well-Known Member

Are you a reloader? For factory the 6mm remington puts a little more heat behind the bullet. How about the 6mm-06 your exsisting magazine and feed will work great. Here's an interesting quote.

The 87grn V-MAX from my 6mm-06,moving at 3520,is absolutely devastating on ground squirrels.At 100-200 yards,any squirrel within a foot of the one I shot,dies from the bone fragmets of the shot squirrel. I shot a ground squirrel at 638 yards and still blew it to pieces.I shoot sub 1/4" groups at 100 yards.
    Submitted by: Varminator 1/26/2004

3. budlight

4. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

TomVan
    I'm in the process of finishing the stock for a 243 that I will be using for exactly the same thing you are. I went with a Rock Creek barrel in an 8 twist because I wanted to be sure I could stabilize the heavier bullets (105 Amax). I wasn't to worried about a varmit bullet, with all of them out there I'm sure I can find one that will shoot.
    Chris

5. firemedic

firemedic New Member

I have a 6mm Br custom gun with a Lilja barrel. I went with the 3 groove 1 in 8 twist. I shoot 70gr Nosler balistic tips for dogs and 107gr MK for long range. I have been very pleased with the barrel. The gun holds .5 moa.

6. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

Firemedic,
    What speeds are you getting with the 107's? What length barrel?

7. C Knappenberger

C Knappenberger Member

Does anyone have any experience with the 6mm-06 on deer?

Knappy

8. budlight

Not a deer, but my friends wife made an excellent shot with the 6mm-06 on a ProngHorn drinking across a 20 or so acre small watering pond. I can't remember if it was a 100 or 105 grain. Our guess that it was 400 yards and he told his wife that since it was sighted in at 200 to aim about 20 inches high.

You saw it shake with impact and it kind of staggered forward before it's legs gave out.

She held the gun across the pickup hood - boom. You can put enough speed behind the 6mm bullets that they really work in very light recoil guns. Just perfect for the daughter or wife.