Best 6.5 caliber for hunting and a short barrel....

Factory ammo can't beat the 6.5 CM (Cartridge, Magical).
Reload 6.5 SS or SST. You can run the 140 Hornady and have an SST SST.
If only someone made an SST stock or chassis...

I just use my 6.5 Creedmoor that I shortened the barrel on .
It's not the fastest by anymeans.
But it dumps caribou amazingly well.
I'm pushing 130 gr Sirocco 2s @2775 fps from the 18.6" barrel with Rl 17. Using the same powder charge with 130 gr TSX.
The rifle and load just work !
And it's easy to have with me.
All my game shots so far have been from kneeling , seated or standing with a shooting stick. ( due to brush height or steepness of the terrain )
One shot kills are hard to improve on. Reguardless of the cart pushing the bullet.

If you are hunting @ true long range. You may want more speed.
But knowing your rifle and load real good and being able to make your shot in a timely manner from the shooting position you will have to use is the most important.

I'm not recommend a cartridge. I love my 6.5 mag, but it's pretty much obsolete. But I would install a Wyatt box. You would gain about 1/10th of an inch and I talked to him about two months ago and he told me that he is developing an even longer box. In that case, I would go with a 6.5X284 or a .260AI. I also have a 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, and a 26 Nosler. If I could find a SAUM or short Magnum action, I would do a 6.5 SAUM. Also, since I have plenty of 6.5 Mag and SAUM brass. What ever I built, I do a fast twist barrel to shoot the heavier bullets. If I built a rifle on a Mauser action, it would be a 6.5x.284 nosler or 6.5PRC. Now you know why I haven't built mine yet. I CAN'T MAKE UP MY FLIPPING MIND!!!!

I'm not recommend a cartridge. I love my 6.5 mag, but it's pretty much obsolete. But I would install a Wyatt box. You would gain about 1/10th of an inch and I talked to him about two months ago and he told me that he is developing an even longer box. In that case, I would go with a 6.5X284 or a .260AI. I also have a 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, and a 26 Nosler. If I could find a SAUM or short Magnum action, I would do a 6.5 SAUM. Also, since I have plenty of 6.5 Mag and SAUM brass. What ever I built, I do a fast twist barrel to shoot the heavier bullets. If I built a rifle on a Mauser action, it would be a 6.5x.284 nosler or 6.5PRC. Now you know why I haven't built mine yet. I CAN'T MAKE UP MY FLIPPING MIND!!!!
Don't forget about the Sherman Short Mags. You're welcome! ;)

I've considered the exact same build. I load for 260rem for PRS, so that's my choice. I'd run 18", a good mono bullet around 120gr to free up powder space and gain some speed. You wouldn't be giving up too much in terms of range with a good bullet. The hammer hunters would get the job done and you would still be able to push them reasonably fast from the short barrel.

For that short of barrel, I'd consider what powders would be most efficient. From that standpoint, I'd recommend a 6.5x47 which runs great on Varget. If you want easier to find/cheaper brass, you could easily work up a 6.5 Creedmoor load. I have a 6.5 Addiction which like the 260 or the 260AI work really well on the slower powders, and even at a 24" barrel, I'm giving up more velocity than I'd like. I'd stay away from the mags, because of the powder burn. I have a 6.5x47 and my son shoots a Creedmoor. I would go with a Creedmoor for a general use 6.5.

Am I missing something on these claims of 260s and 6.5 creed's pushing 28-2900 in an 16-18" barrel with 140s. I loved my rem 700 in 260 with an 18". It was great even with the can on but 2600fps was about too much pressure judging by bolt lift and primer condition. I used 4831sc with nosler custom competition bullet. Is there some magical powder/bullet combo I've never heard of to get those velocities?

John;
I'm in agreement with you.
My 6.5 Creed that I shortened the barrel on now gives me less than 2600 fps , 18.6 " brl ,with the exact same loads that were over 2700 fps. 26" velocity .
Since the practical accuracy stayed the same. I chose not to change my loads.
Even with the 26" barrel I didn't get over 2750 fps with 140s . and backed the powder charge down because I had exceeded the accuracy node.
@ the velocity I get now with 140s my primers are slightly flattened but not bad. And I'm getting 10 loads with my Hornady brass.
Am I missing something on these claims of 260s and 6.5 creed's pushing 28-2900 in an 16-18" barrel with 140s. I loved my rem 700 in 260 with an 18". It was great even with the can on but 2600fps was about too much pressure judging by bolt lift and primer condition. I used 4831sc with nosler custom competition bullet. Is there some magical powder/bullet combo I've never heard of to get those velocities?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.