Best suited 7mm for short barrel?

Sounds like the simplicity of a saami cartridge would be good?

We just did load development for a customer rifle in 7-08. Relatively short barrel at 21". We used Lapua brass, Varget, wlrm, and 131g Hammer Hunters@ 3150fps. I would figure you would lose 75-100fps due to the shorter barrel. This would be a great combo for your needs to 400y. It will get you quite a bit farther than that if you needed to.

Steve

I have a 7mm RSAUM XP-100 with a 17.5" bbl. With Berger 168 VLD-H I have seen 2850 FPS and using the Hornady 162 ELD-X it will do 2774 FPS. I stopped there with the H162ELDX. There's more room to go up in terms of pressure - just chose to stop there since that particular load was 1/2 MOA.

The 7mm RSAUM is an excellent choice for short barrrels. I've had 284W, 280AI, and 7RM in short barrrels. My favorite is the 7mm RSAUM.

I am of the feeling that to compensate for barrel length you need a little more powder.
I have a 7saum with 25" barrel but will never go that long again.
i am planning a 6.5 saum and will probably have a 20 - 22" barrel.
Every time i mention a short barrel magnum I hear people tut but I don't think I'll ever own a barrel longer than 22"

I think for the even shorter 7mm barrel and closer range work i'd use a slightly smaller case so the 7-08 or 284 cases look to be the ticket with something around 150grn bullet.

Great information Buttermilk!

FYI Trucraft,

If you do decide to use the 284 win as the chambering, get some of the excellent Norma brass that is still available from Bullets.com. It is at close out prices @ $89 per 100.
https://www.bullets.com/products/-284-Winchester-Brass-Cases-100-Count/BL11927

This explains why this brass is so good:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...6mm-dasher-and-284-win-brass-for-bullets-com/

I'm in the UK but still have good available brass over here, all be it at a cost!
I use Norma in my saum and can't fault it.

Another round good for short barrels is the 7mm IHMSA (International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association). Using 300 Savage brass, I fire formed in my XP-100 with a 15" barrel (with muzzle brake) using a stiff charge of Trailboss and cast 140 gr bullets.

Ballistics are about 15% less than my Remmy 700 7mm-08AI with a 20" barrel. I shoot Nosler 140gr Accubonds over a medium-heavy charge of Win 748, Win LRP and average about 2,370 fps with a SD of 8.

I have shot short barrels almost exclusively for 30+ years. These short barrels have been in the form of T/C Contender, Encore and Remington XP-100 gun's. My longest barrel of these type guns is my 7 RSAUM bbl at 17.5". I also have a 16.5" 30-338WM. Chambering shave included 308W, 7-30 Waters, 7BR, 280 AI, 284W, 30-06 JDJ, 30-06AI, 30-280AI, 7RM, 307 Improved, to name a few.

In every case () the larger case capacity always produced more velocity and did so with excellent accuracy.

So, my point is this: don't choose a smaller case just because the barrel is short. Choose a case that gets you what you want in terms of ballistics.

There are guys doing the 7 Dakota and 28 Nosler on short (18") barrels in XP-100's that are beating my 7 RSAUM XP-100 in velocity, and doing so with excellent accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts