Best 6.5 caliber for hunting and a short barrel....

Dirt_Nap

I have a short action and I'm wanting to build a shorty hunting rifle. I want a 16"-18" barrel so it's suppressor friendly. Suggestions for the best 6.5 caliber?

This one is loaded to mag LENGHT and shoots really good...
Just a gun truck for ex wife....liteweight...short...and shoots...
Got more use then me.....

I have a short action and I'm wanting to build a shorty hunting rifle. I want a 16"-18" barrel so it's suppressor friendly. Suggestions for the best 6.5 caliber?
I have had really good luck with the 6.5 x 55 (Swedish) they are all tack drivers and use a standard bolt face. The performance on deer using the 129g Hornady SST is awesome.

Short action standard bf: 260, 6.5cr
Mag bf: 6.5 saum, prc
If you're after wildcat: 260ai, 6.5 Sherman short or SST. Stay away from the 6.5x55 in short action, as it's a long case, it will outperform 260 or creed on an interm or long action with its larger capacity. Improved versions are even better.

.260 Remington will out perform the 6.5 Creedmoor hands down in my opinion. I have 3 rifles in .264, .260 Rem Savage 11, 6.5 Creed Savage 110, and a .260 AI in a Savage 10. At one tome I also a Ruger American .260 Rem buy the throat was cut way to deep for ELD type long bullets. But the .260 AI is my hunting rifle using 140 Hornady SST at 2925 fps it drops mule deer quick. But it has a longer barrel that what you are looking for so I would suggest the model 11 Savage .260 Rem or .260 AI.

It may depend a bit on which bullet you plan to use. Some of the lighter weights can fit the short actions fairly well.

I built a rifle for the kids with an 18" barrel in 6.5x47. It shoots the 130 bergers at 2700 fps very well with Varget. Not saying this would necessarily be the "best", but I'm happy with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts