Any 300 PRC experts? Best twist, bullet and barrel length?

WEATHERBY460

Building a hunting rifle in a 300 PRC. Thinking 1x9 twist, Berger 205 elite hunters, 27" barrel length. Any recommendations? Thanks

Building a hunting rifle in a 300 PRC. Thinking 1x9 twist, Berger 205 elite hunters, 27" barrel length. Any recommendations? Thanks
What's the intended use?

You probably don't need a 9 twist, you certainly don't need it for 205 Bergers. A 10 twist will stabilize almost every 30 cal bullet available. Barrel length? Longer will be faster, shorter will be slower, do whatever you want there.

Keep in mind, unless your going to run monolithic (solids), a 9 twist will shoot the 230s just fine and get the most BC of the bullet. I'd I were considering mono's or heavier 245/250s, I'd step into the 8 or even 7.5. BTW, I'm running a 9 twist and the 225/230 are the heaviest bullets that i use.

I never plan to shoot over 225's, if so, I would bring my 338 Lapua.
Larger game rifle such as elk.
Do a 9 twist and as long of a barrel as you're willing to pack around. 300 PRC isn't rocket science, it'll do well with all the same same components and build parameters as any 30 cal magnum of similar capacity.

I've got a 9 twist. It will stabilize the Badlands 195 BD2 all copper bullet with a G7 bc of .345 and the Berger 230 OTM with a G7 bc of .364, both good options depending on your intended use. The only reason to go to an 8 or faster would be if you intend to shoot bigger solid coppers like the 205 badlands or the big cutting edge bullets.

If you think you might shoot suppressed at some point, take some time to think about the barrel length. If that's not in your future I think 27" would be just fine.

I've shot 245 Bergers out of mine with an 8 twist. Does just fine but you definitely feel the difference between that and a 212 or 215. Mine really likes the 212s and 225s. Also 26" barrel. Overall gun length is right at 50". Add a can and it's a big stick to carry around but I don't mind.

Do the 8. Bryan Litz has had a couple posts lately on this, and I wish I would have went 8 on mine. I did a 9 because at the time, the 215's were the "thing", and although it does shoot them well, I've seen 8's with just a bit tighter group. Anything you can shoot with a 9, you can shoot with an 8, better safe than sorry.

Do the 8. Bryan Litz has had a couple posts lately on this, and I wish I would have went 8 on mine. I did a 9 because at the time, the 215's were the "thing", and although it does shoot them well, I've seen 8's with just a bit tighter group. Anything you can shoot with a 9, you can shoot with an 8, better safe than sorry.
Hard to argue with Litz right. Remember tho, Berger recommends a 9 twist for there 245. I'll stand by the statement that unless your shooting the heavier (200 grain +) Mono's, the 9 is a good choice

I agree. The whole idea of the PRC is heavy for caliber bullets. And initially was set up as a 8 twist. I think the 8 twist gives you greater flexibility as to what bullet you go with. As you probably know, you may like one bullet but your gun has its own opinion and unfortunately it usually trumps yours!