Best deer caliber and long distance caliber

6DE58563-5C04-4BB3-9AE6-37DDEE8FA180.jpeg

Meh, not impressed ....
actually very disappointed , after all the hype & jive from the Hornady hive, I was expecting much better ..,

I mean... it's great ... for the 6.5x284 and the various 6.5x55 Swede Improved wildcats, but that's expected & accepted performance for those little cartridges

Not even close to a 1/2 ton of energy at 1k yards... pretty sad because I was expecting so much more from the 6.5 PRC due to all the wild eyed drooling about the "1k plus long range hunting cartridge" ...
?????

"Best I can do is " Rated = crate of Rotten Tomatoes

View attachment 334388
Didn't say it was a thousand yarder for hunting, just it beats what was mentioned. And its still a good cartridge.

All of the above nonsensical rambling can be avoided with the very simple application of acquiring a 300 RUM and taking advantage of all the superior projectiles & powders available now, wether for LR steel or LR hunting, IT CANNOT BE BEAT .....

unless you go wildcat, then the 300 NM Improved prevails ....

Long range hunting requires a ton of energy on target & not simply making a "tink" sound on a steel plate with some 6.5 slopoke cartridge and calling it good...

This trend towards dinky cased, skinny bullet cartridges is not gonna end well for hunters
Probably should throw the 30Nos and 300PRC in there as well. I love my Rum's and Winnies but those are two more very capable cartridges for this application.