Best Value Long Range Hunting Rifle up to $5k

Let's of good choices here. If you don't quite make it all the way to a Gunwerks system, don't hesitate to look at components. I'm pretty passionate about stock design, and I think we have an edge here. Also, our grb offers lots of value for a custom build. Our ammunition will work in a saami spec chamber, it could still be an option with a custom. Glad to help you get it right any way we can. Give us a call if you want chat about options.

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase the best rifle possible up to $5k (I could go higher if it met my goal explained below or half that amount in a very comparable rifle). I figure if I am going to mostly be using 1 main gun for a very long time then spend the money now and get the best. But with spending a lot of money I'm looking for the absolute best value in that price range. I'm also open to non traditional hunting rifles like reasonably weighted ELR or MPR if need be with my goals in mind. I believe these are considered more accurate typically?

Like I also stated I'm open to paying around $2500 on a factory rifle if that rifle was incredible value and very, very comparable to a much higher priced rifle. I'll give you an example with Christensen Arms brand. I know the Ridgeline or Traverse are excellent factory rifles at around $2300 and they also offer the MPR for $2400 which might be more accurate and I've read that rifle could cost double that amount for what you get. I've seen Proof Research custom rifles that range from $4k to $7k range. This again is an example of what I'm processing with any brand and trying to make the best decision on (is that extra money worth it and which brands and guns people recommend for both price ranges).

I'm set on the .300 Win Mag for my hunting needs and for that distance range so not looking for any other caliber advice. Id like to have a 26 or 27" barrel. I'm looking for the best of the best in accuracy as my main goal. I don't mind a slightly heavier gun with an ELR or MPR.

Thanks in advance as I greatly appreciate everyone's experience and taking time to respond!

Dan
Dan,
If you are looking for a manufactured rifle in your price range you can not go wrong with a Sako 85 or TRG. I own a couple Sakos in 300WM and 375H&H and both shoot 1/2 moa. The 375 is my Alaska and Africa gun. The 300 we shoot long range with on a regular bases, out passed 1000 yards. Running 215/220 bergers in the 2800fps range it rarely misses and is supersonic and stable enough to shoot a mile. Other than a Sako if I were going to spend upwards of 5000 I agree with others build a custom rifle. For probably closer to 4000 you could build a custom rifle on a defiance or surgeon action with a bartlein or kreiger barrel in a manners or McMillian stock or even a krg chassis with a timmney Calvin Elite trigger and shoot better than most of us could think possible. I have a few customs in 6.5 and 338. Look up Meredith rifles in Athens, Alabama. Tooder Meredith builds some of the best rifles around. If nothing else he would be worth a conversation.

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase the best rifle possible up to $5k (I could go higher if it met my goal explained below or half that amount in a very comparable rifle). I figure if I am going to mostly be using 1 main gun for a very long time then spend the money now and get the best. But with spending a lot of money I'm looking for the absolute best value in that price range. I'm also open to non traditional hunting rifles like reasonably weighted ELR or MPR if need be with my goals in mind. I believe these are considered more accurate typically?

Like I also stated I'm open to paying around $2500 on a factory rifle if that rifle was incredible value and very, very comparable to a much higher priced rifle. I'll give you an example with Christensen Arms brand. I know the Ridgeline or Traverse are excellent factory rifles at around $2300 and they also offer the MPR for $2400 which might be more accurate and I've read that rifle could cost double that amount for what you get. I've seen Proof Research custom rifles that range from $4k to $7k range. This again is an example of what I'm processing with any brand and trying to make the best decision on (is that extra money worth it and which brands and guns people recommend for both price ranges).

I'm set on the .300 Win Mag for my hunting needs and for that distance range so not looking for any other caliber advice. Id like to have a 26 or 27" barrel. I'm looking for the best of the best in accuracy as my main goal. I don't mind a slightly heavier gun with an ELR or MPR.

Thanks in advance as I greatly appreciate everyone's experience and taking time to respond!

Dan
Call benchmark and have them build u a gun. Will definitely fit in your price range. They are all lr s
Hello Everyone,

Dan
Call benxhmark, have them build you a rifle. Will definitely meet you budget, axcuracy goals.

Don't throw the "out of box" rifles to the wind. Browning Long Range xbolt, weatherby accumark, cooper, or a Fierce Fury. All excellent rifles with options for carbon wrapped barrels, fluted barrels and bolts. Get most of these for sub $3k. Add a nice Zeis, Swarovski or S&B and still be at your $5k price point

Hello Everyone,

Dan
Happy to build you one as well as do a custom ammo work up for you. Love the 300WM, one of 300wm clients did a light carbon fiber build with custom ammo. Killed an elk at 703y, DRT 1/4 MOA gun and ammo.

contact me to discuss options.

Hello Everyone,

Dan

Hello Everyone,

Dan
If you go with a .300 win mag and use it for hunting only in my opinion (my wife says nobody cares about) you have one of the best hunting rnds out there and for the money you have budgeted you should have no problem have fun good luck

Hello Everyone,

Dan

I bought a Fierce Firearms titianum action, carbon barrel. 300 Rum. It's a shooter. With a more experienced LR shooter it would do it better. Left handed too.

Dan,
If you are looking for a manufactured rifle in your price range you can not go wrong with a Sako 85 or TRG. I own a couple Sakos in 300WM and 375H&H and both shoot 1/2 moa. The 375 is my Alaska and Africa gun. The 300 we shoot long range with on a regular bases, out passed 1000 yards. Running 215/220 bergers in the 2800fps range it rarely misses and is supersonic and stable enough to shoot a mile. Other than a Sako if I were going to spend upwards of 5000 I agree with others build a custom rifle. For probably closer to 4000 you could build a custom rifle on a defiance or surgeon action with a bartlein or kreiger barrel in a manners or McMillian stock or even a krg chassis with a timmney Calvin Elite trigger and shoot better than most of us could think possible. I have a few customs in 6.5 and 338. Look up Meredith rifles in Athens, Alabama. Tooder Meredith builds some of the best rifles around. If nothing else he would be worth a conversation.
I see several people mentioning Fierce rifles on here. Just as a side note those are built on Sako 85 actions.

If you want an HS precision, call them and they will build it with whatever point options that you choose from their catalog. The entire gun is built in house in Rapid City and the customer service has been great.

If you want to take a look at what is available already, Kones Korner on Guns America stocks quite a few rifles from HS and usually has a 300 wm in stock.

Dan,
Dan,

Attachments

• 20200831_045557.jpg
    20200831_045557.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.