Best short barreled 6.5 caliber??

Just a thought, why not get a shorter suppressor like a TB ultra 5 and keep the barrel a little bit longer? I get the desire for a short barrel, but everything is a compromise.
The short Creedmoor sounds great, but it wouldn't be my choice for a really long-range rifle. You get a little more out of the PRC or 284, but a couple more inches of barrel will let you use up some of that extra powder.
The shorter the barrel, the more I think increase the bore diameter...

I love my Grendel. It is Goldielocks in an AR platform. A very practical hunting rifle, I think it best at 400 or less.

With that short a barrel you're wasting a lot of powder with a cartridge designed for long range / long barrel. The muzzle blast from a magnum cartridge is going to be stout unless you use a suppressor which defeats the short barrel purpose. I think a 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the SST as well, shoulder differential will mean little because none of the magnum cartridges cited will be efficient in a 22" barrel. They will be accurate and achieve more velocity, but at a cost.

So, I am looking to build a 22" barreled 6.5 hunting rig. I want the shorter barrel so it isn't too cumbersome with my suppressor on it. I really like the idea of the 6.5x284 but everything I read says that cartridge is best with a 28" barrel. Would the 6.5 PRC be a better option for the shorter barrel? The only criteria that I have is that there has to be good brass available for it. I have never dove into the world of forming my own brass, and I don't want to start. It can be a short or long action, I don't care. Any advice or insight will be greatly appreciated.
IMHO 260Remington short action or you could go .260 Rem. AI. Either way, you can't go wrong.

So, I am looking to build a 22" barreled 6.5 hunting rig. I want the shorter barrel so it isn't too cumbersome with my suppressor on it. I really like the idea of the 6.5x284 but everything I read says that cartridge is best with a 28" barrel. Would the 6.5 PRC be a better option for the shorter barrel? The only criteria that I have is that there has to be good brass available for it. I have never dove into the world of forming my own brass, and I don't want to start. It can be a short or long action, I don't care. Any advice or insight will be greatly appreciated.
I have a 16" barreled Creedmoor that has surprised me with it's 130gr. velocities for the length. I say go full tilt and get a 16" to 18" Creedmoor or 260Rem and don't look back especially if you are suppressing it. Also, in my experience the shorter the barrel you have the smaller the cartridge you want otherwise the bullet is out of the barrel before all the powder gets used up and that's just a waste. That's all just my opinion though so take it with a lot of salt

The 6.5 PRC is perfect with an 18 a 20" barrel if you hand load. Anything longer than 20" is a waste of weight with the right powder and a good heavy bullet. Go heavy on the bullet and you will love your "short" stout barrel in a PRC.

In testing for the Mountain Shadow I designed for Axial Precision we have shot 1/8" MOA with factory Hornady PRC ammo and a 20" barrel during break in. The performance gain you get from a handload will be anywhere from 50 to 200 FPS.

The 6.5 CM works well from 16" to 22" but in my opinion the velocity gain AND the heavy Bullets from the PRC just make it the ultimate 6.5. Plus you can shoot factory ammo in a pinch.

6.5x284 with a 20 inch Blackhole Weaponry Barrel in an MDT LSS chassis. I have not shot it yet. I also have a can for it. The only bad thing for some is its heavy. Guessing 12 -14 lbs loaded.
IMG_0292.jpg

Sir not sure if you are a AR10 kind of guy but last year I bought a SHAW AR10 rifle that I ordered straight from factory and they shipped it to my local FFL dealer and I paid the $25.00 transfer. Anyway I ask them if they could but a 24 inch ss threaded barrel on it. They said sure only $40.00 more then the standard 20 inch barrel it comes with. Sir this gun cost $995 dollars out the door ! I paid $1040.00 like I said with 24 inch barrel. My gun is S/N 69. They had just started making this gun. Look at at last feb gun test magazine review on internet.
This gun is $750.00 cheaper then any non custom AR on market I do believe and SHAW is know for their good barrels. With the saving I bought a
Sightron III 10-50x 60 scope what a combination. I am not a computer wiz bang and don't know how to post picture of target but my gun shoots Federal
140 's and 130's a true 7/8 inch group at 100 yards. That is great for a guy that is 60 years old and 3 detached retina operations on his shooting eye. My gun is a heavy gun because of 24 inch barrel and big scope but if you want a shorter barrel hunting gun man these gun shoot out of box for the money. And it sure is nice not working that bolt in North Dakota with gloves while deer hunting in very cold weather. I also hunt coyotes In 5 other states. An PD Hunt. **** Tip of the day.... In weather 10 to 30 degrees. A golf glove from Walmart is a great shooting glove for $10.00. Marty

Last edited:
Difference between a 22" and a 24" is 100 FPS over my Chronograph, in reality it is meaningless
unless you are shooting a long distance where the trajectory is not as flat.
With todays range finders, scopes, and turrets it makes that the corrections required a snap.
Seeing how it is most importantly shot placement that counts instead over all you should make your BBL. length what you feel comfortable with.
the 6.5x55 Swede came originally with a 29.1"BBL. then it was cut down to a 23.1" short carbine, it was still deadly and accurate.
Maybe get a longer BBL and cut it down until you are happy with the results.

22 inches is plenty for almost any non magnum 6.5..16.5 in barrel and a 6.5 Grendel would be awesome. I have a few Grendel's (one in a encore 21"barrel, 2 ARs 16 barrel and a 20 in barrel...velocity doesn't differ 50 ft per second between the 3)

I have a 22 in barrel on my 6.5x47 and it is all it needs...I put a 20 in proof on my kids 6.5 creedmoor , and my wife has a 20 in on hers too and it is sufficient .

I see a lot of guys are running SAUMs and PRCs with 20-22 in barrels

I'm in the process of building a 300 SAUM and I'm putting a 20 on it... I think you are cool running anything in a 22...
The Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel has a 22" mid-weight barrel, takes AR mags, and comes threaded 5/8x24 already for your suppressor. Pretty neat rifle. I plan on getting one soon just to tinker around with, since I've been a fan of the 6.5G since it first came out back around 2003/2004. I always thought it would be a neat little round in a bolt-action platform.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26922.html

I do agree that a Ruger American Ranch (16.5" heavy threaded barrel) chambered for 6.5 Grendel would be a nice compact truck gun to keep around.

I have a Ruger compact m77 SS....it's a month full.....but its a 260 rem and I couldn't imagine a better deer especially whitetail gun and cartridge....16.5" barrel laminate stock.vx3 on top simple and strong. Plus the 260 could be the most underrated cart.out there. I wouldn't hesitate to use this rifle in mules or elk.....being the elk is in 200 230 yard range..very powerful and flat shooting with zero recoil.