Best scope leveling tool?

Leupold one piece picatinny base and Wheeler Engineering rings. @436
So if you level the rifle's action, side to side, then align the crosshairs to the plumb bob, adjust the crosshairs so that the verticle plumb bob and bore line up in the center of the bore, by adjusting the windage, you should be level and square with the world. As far as getting it absolutely perfect, you need a friction style base and rings like Leupold's standard version, where you have a scwers on the base to adjust the windage left and right in fine increments. Unless by accident the crosshairs fall on the center like you will always be and 1/8 moa lift or right with 1/4 moa click adjustment scope, that's why some guys prefer friction adjustments over clicks for some rifles, or just go with a base that you can work it out with and still use click adjustments. Looking at the aforementioned even if you had a 1/8th moa click you'd be a 1/16 moa left or right if you didn't accidentally fall on the centerline. So if perfection is what you're looking for I think this might be the only way to achieve it. Good luck, Cheers

1651164749811.png

Thank you for the wisdom! I'll look deeper into that base and rings. Perfectionism is sometimes great. Other times it tends to be burdensome... lol.

Thank you for the wisdom! I'll look deeper into that base and rings. Perfectionism is sometimes great. Other times it tends to be burdensome... lol.
I probably should have mentioned that if you "zero-zero" your scope; (count all your clicks (windage & elevation) in one direction then dived by two and come back to that number) then you can use the base for your windage zero on the plumb bob line, that keeps the crosshairs more in the center of the body of the scope, which is a neutral spot for the spring tension inside the scope tube when using the Leupold Std mounts and rings. Again good luck Cheers.

Last edited:
Yeah I have made a habit of establishing that the reticle is centered via windage and elevation prior to mouting. But utilizing an adjustable base like the one you're speaking of is new to me. So thank you...again. 😊

Recent Posts