Best rangefinder??????

Darcey

What is the best rangefinder to get a read on deer size targets out to 8-900yrds? I have a bushnell that will only get me out to around 400yrds and am looking at the Leica 1000 or 1600 but don't need the ballistic calculator built in. And I need it to read on animals not just reflective targets at that distance. Please let me know what you think is best.

Leica 1200 CRF-Y or the 1600. Leica has the smallest beam of the RF's in its class which the top runners are the Swaro, Zeiss and Leica. The larger beamed units will give you problems sooner or later when ranging on a flat terrain as they will pick up something you do not intend to rangeand give you a inaccurate reading. If you have a larger budget then look into the Vectronix units, they are the ticket but pricey.

There are many many many threads on here about all this, do a search if you want to read a little.

Jeff

My Nikon Gold 1200 reads consistently on game out to 800 yds. That is its limit though. You can get one for less then 350.00$ :)

joseph

Yep, Before I went with the Leica CRF 1600 I found that most mid to low priced units would only score at 70 to 75% of advertised range. Get an accurate Leica CRF 1600 and you will get 1600YDS! $799. I ain't got time for any "hail Marys" on my $2,500 DIY ELK hunts in CO. I gots to know the accurate range every time.

Yep, Before I went with the Leica CRF 1600 I found that most mid to low priced units would only score at 70 to 75% of advertised range. Get an accurate Leica CRF 1600 and you will get 1600YDS! $799. I ain't got time for any "hail Marys" on my $2,500 DIY ELK hunts in CO. I gots to know the accurate range every time.

He said 800 to 900 yds. that's why I suggest the Nikon Gold 1200 for under 350$.

If you need to be accurate to 1600 yds. you need to get a Vectronics Terripin and forget the Leica CRF 1600.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/vectronics-terripin-very-goodacious-82354/

joseph

I just got the CRF 1600 and have gotten several accurate readings alittle over 1600yrds. I think this unit would fill most needs for the average shooter and then some.

Just got a refurbish leilah 1600 from cameraland. It looks and works like new, carries full lifetime warranty, and was about $500. I have only had it a day but I did get it to range snow covered trees at 1400.

im definately gunna have to invest in a better range finder. I picked up one of the bushnell scout 1000s, mainly for something to bowhunt with and figured heck if it'll range deer to 600 yards it'll be worth $300. Boy I can't get it to range over 400 yards. I've tried ranging cars, signs, trees, houses, and just about anything else Ive seen with it handy and I can't get it to range past 400 yards. Now I havent put it on a tripod yet, just b/c I havent had one handy(I dont carry one with me that often) but I've tried laying it on things... that doesnt work either.

im definately gunna have to invest in a better range finder. I picked up one of the bushnell scout 1000s, mainly for something to bowhunt with and figured heck if it'll range deer to 600 yards it'll be worth $300. Boy I can't get it to range over 400 yards. I've tried ranging cars, signs, trees, houses, and just about anything else Ive seen with it handy and I can't get it to range past 400 yards. Now I havent put it on a tripod yet, just b/c I havent had one handy(I dont carry one with me that often) but I've tried laying it on things... that doesnt work either.

If it will not range a road sign past 400 yards it is a serious paper weight. That is the worst report I have heard on any RF.

Jeff

yeah broz I agree. Im gunna try to take it out next time im home(I work in the gulf of mexico) and put it on a tripod and give it a shot.

yeah broz I agree. Im gunna try to take it out next time im home(I work in the gulf of mexico) and put it on a tripod and give it a shot.

Sand bags work well too. But at 400 yards and with the size of the beam in the bushnells you should be ranging road signs easily.

Maybe she needs new batts?

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.