Best rangefinder for the buck?

J300UM

Looking for a rangefinder that will pick up speed goats out to 1000 yds that wont break the bank too bad. Any thoughts?

Looking for a rangefinder that will pick up speed goats out to 1000 yds that wont break the bank too bad. Any thoughts?

When the topic said buck I understood $.

Reading the post the "buck" is a speed goat.

The answers differ for each criteria.

For the $ I'd say a Leica LRF or CRF.

For speed goats, in their habitats, I'd say Svaro all the way. More money but you'll range 'em.

Put the speed goat up in the mountains then the Leica would be the best use of dollars, up to 1k. Beyond that it's the Svaro again.

IMO......

To pick up goats at 1k you really only have one choice. The Swaro. Seems $939 is goin' rate. Don't know if that breaks bank or not. The real question is, how mad will the wife be?

I don't think anything else will perforn like you need. If you just can't swing it, Roy is right, the Leica is next best and has a great price.

Thanks for the reply fellas! I should have said best rangefinder for the $. I just mentioned a speed goat cuz its the smallest bodied animal I hunt. I figure if it will pick up a goat then it will easily pick up an elk.

Depending on what options you want and how far you would like to range, the Nikon 1200 Monarch is a good buy too. But I am looking at the Leica 1200 CRF for $250 more. Nikon has poor light gathering and black on black display but their ranging is pretty good.

I have a Leica 1200 LRF and in mid-day bright light it won't range a Pronghorn at 1000 yards, period. It will range a white rock the size of a dump truck but even then not reliably. Not a slam against Leica, just a matter of fact.

My Leica 1200 scan wouldn't range a black cow on a bright sunny day at 400 yards but will range both black and white cows@600 on overcast day.

It wouldn't range my pickup truck or a barn @ 1050 yards on a sunny, windy day off a tri-pod. It was hard to hold it steady. It will range a big white barn or house at 1025 at dusk.

Using a gray metal full size cutout of a coyote, it would go 350-400 yards with a berm behind it. Not sure which it was ranging on. Haven't tried it farther yet with the silouette.

ba19500,
Sounds like yours isn't reading to it's full potential. Send it back, my 7 year old Bushnell 800 will do better then that and it has been used a bagillion times!

ba19500,
Sounds like yours isn't reading to it's full potential. Send it back, my 7 year old Bushnell 800 will do better then that and it has been used a bagillion times!

Bravo4

I haven't used it much this month so I went out again this morning and it was really erratic. The voltmeter said to replace the battery so if that doesn't work I'll send it back. Thanks.

After playing around with my Lica 1200 crf for a few mounths I would say it's pretty reliable to around 5-600 yrds on crtitters. Anything beyond that is pretty hit and miss unless it's a water tower or somthing. I was expecting more. If I get another it will be the Swro.

Have any of you tried the NEWCON LRM2000PRO, made in canada. I just bought one and steped out of the truck and rested on the hood and ranged a tree at1076yds, i pulled of the side of the hiway and ranged a big sign at a gas station at 1700yds. Havent had the chanch to realy test it on game, but i bet it will do the trick. Can`t remember the exact amount i paid--but it was around 500 bucks!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.