best rangefinder?

Blacktail

looking for a new rangefinder for long range mule deer and antelope..heard the new leupold is not very good. any thoughts? hoping to get one that will at least range a critter at 400 or more

just my opinion from reading posts here and using several.

1) Newcon 3000 - from reading here - only 1 report - spendy.
2) Swaro - From reading here - good - spendy
3) Leica 1200 scan - I own one - really decent - not so spendy.
4) Opti-logic - from reading here but no magnification.
5)
6)
7) Nikon 800 - shootin' buddy has one. the Leica is at least 2X better than the Nikon

Have ranged deer in CRP (tall grass) @ 600. Bedded moose calf in snow @ 505. ROckchuck on rock @ 425. It was a large flat rock the edge of which ranged 423 and was repeatable, hand held.

Other than not ranging as well as the Swaro the biggest problem with the Leica is that if not held out of the way the neck strap tickles your nose, really...

While I'm a firm believer in having way more rangefinder than you "need" such that when you really need it you have one that will perform the function...a deer at a little over 400 is not a difficult task and you don't need to spend much money to do that.

If I was in your shoes and that's all I wanted, even keeping with the "more than you need concept" I'd hunt for a used Leica 1200 scan, being sold by somebody who is upgrading to something more expensive. I think that would get you a great tool for the job and be a great bang for the buck as well.

Roy

I tested the new 1200 Nikon last week against a 1200 Leica and the Nikon was a distant second in both optics and ability to range. It was however much better than the RXIV.

I did get some 1000yds + readings on highly reflective objects, but it was not consistant. It sometimes wouldn't read on dirt or grass where the Leica read easily.

I guess it goes below the Leica on your rating list--RHB--

The Bushnell compact 800 and the 1500 are worthy of a look. I do most everything with the 800. I have had many reading over 800. Even in bright daylight it will pull back off of tress at 700+. My biggest complaint is in low light it's useless. Better to get a good reading odf the area before the sun goes down.

had my leica 1200 Compact out over the weekend and was consistently ranging a few mulie bucks out around the 700yd mark.

The Swaro is the best, no real room for argument unless you bring those super expensive ones into the picture.

The leica 1200 is definantly the second best I have ever used. IT has a better ranging reticle than the Swaro and pretty nice glass also. It will range out to 800yds on bright days usually and will do over 1k in overcast conditions.

The nikon's are pretty nice except they use a black read out, which i hate. They will range out to 700yds usually and are a lot easier on the pocket than some others.

the bushnell i have only gotten to play with a little but it has a very fast read back and handles nicely.

for optimum long range ability right now the swaro is the king

steve

Price vs. Quality Leica wins hands down. Its worth spending the extra $$ over the Bushnell & Nikon and its worth saving the $$$ not getting the Swaro.

If you really want to spend get the Geovid or better yet that $6000 super deluxe job with the angle indicator.

I purchased a Bushnell range finder a couple years ago and had lots of problems with super short battery life in cold temps below 35 degrees. Also the widow bracket was to large to be accurate on a deer (mule deer) at 600 or 700 yards. Also the modes where hard to select and rain was a NO NO for this range finder. I have since bought myself a Leica and love to use it in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.