Best precision rifle for a new-bee?

I have a Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm very happy with it. I like the LRP over the Savage F Class rifles are single shot. The LRP has basically the same action but is cut at the bottom for a drop magazine. Good action with a DBM, just doesn't get any better than that.

Below pic are some 100 yard groups shot with the LRP when I was doing load workup for it. I took the load on the left.

+1 on LRP.

[ame]https://youtube.com/watch?v=cYOTKrYhvZA[/ame]

Thanks very much, I appreciate the advice. I think I'd like to stick with a 6mm BR or 6.5 CM rifle. I've read they are both extremely accurate rounds based on BC and have good selection in VLD bullets. While the 308 is inarguable a very capable rifle, I feel as if in the ballistics, is has been surpassed. I could be wrong but I've also read that due to the 308s larger bullet and things it both kicks more and consumes more powder. If I may, what are the pros and cons of the 6mm BR and 6.5 CM rounds? Right now I feel like the Savage Long Range Precision 6.5 CM might be the best fit for me but then I wonder if it might be better to go with a Model 12 F Class in 6mm BR? I will be doing my own reloading, is either of those calibers better to reload with in regards to cost?
Thanks, Phillip

I think you're on the right track. comparing similar BC VLD's, you'd need to step up to a 210 grain .30 cal to surpass the BC of a 140 hybrid in 6.5 cal. recoil and cost should be taken into consideration since it sounds like you're on a budget. Also, I don't think you'll like the recoil of a 200+ grain pill when you're used to shooting rimfires.
I've never run heavies in a 308, but I would assume you can run a 140 VLD/hybrid in 6.5 faster than a 210 VLD in .308. Similar BC and drift, less drop, less recoil; what's not to like? Yes, the energy will be less, but you're target shooting.
The creedmoor should be a good fit for your needs and you can run really good hornady match ammo till your buddy gets setup with reloading (good way to collect brass). I've been happy with the hornady brass as well.
the Savage LRP or the new Ruger precision rifle would be at the top of my list - both can be had for about 1k.

Re: Best precision rifle for a new-bee? (6.5 CM)

YET ANOTHER RECOMMENDATION

I really like my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmor. That rifle, although inexpensive, is far from "cheap". The design advances put it in a class by itself. It has the best bedding system of any rifle in its price range, a 3 lug bolt, a Picatinny rail for mounting a scope, 4 round rotary magazine, very good adjustable trigger, threaded muzzle (for a brake) with a thread protector cap, a medium heavy barrel contour and comes with a green composite stock.

Since I've ordered a much more "spendy" rifle in 6.5 CM for LR competition, the Ruger Precision Rifle, I'll be selling my Predator. If the Precision Rifle has the accuracy of my Predator I'll be very happy. (1/2 MOA groups are common with Hornaday ammo.)

Re: Best precision rifle for a new-bee? (6.5 CM)

YET ANOTHER RECOMMENDATION

I really like my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmor. That rifle, although inexpensive, is far from "cheap". The design advances put it in a class by itself. It has the best bedding system of any rifle in its price range, a 3 lug bolt, a Picatinny rail for mounting a scope, 4 round rotary magazine, very good adjustable trigger, threaded muzzle (for a brake) with a thread protector cap, a medium heavy barrel contour and comes with a green composite stock.

Since I've ordered a much more "spendy" rifle in 6.5 CM for LR competition, the Ruger Precision Rifle, I'll be selling my Predator. If the Precision Rifle has the accuracy of my Predator I'll be very happy. (1/2 MOA groups are common with Hornaday ammo.)

This is the rifle that I have on backorder. If it shoots anything like my neighbors RAR 30-06 ill be very happy.

For a first rifle, any that have been mentioned so far will do nicely. If you want to anticipate upgrades/rebuilds, and if you are inclined to DIY, then Savage is an excellent choice. They are the LEGOs of the rifle world. For the first purchase, go with what you can find the best price on locally. 308, 243, 6.5 Creed, 260rem- doesn't matter too much, as any will do what you are asking to 500 or so yards/meters. The 308 will last the longest, the others will have less recoil. Put a brake on the rifle and that won't matter either. When you decide to upgrade, triggers are easy on the wallet, better stocks are easy to fit and bed, and barrels can be changed with about 150 dollars worth of tools that will never wear out (barrel nut wrench, barrel vise, headspace gauges). If you decide to sell, it won't take long for someone on here to snap it up. You can build your own custom for under 1500, and spend as much as you can stand on glass.

Okay, looks like a .308 might not be all to bad after all since everyone seems to really like them. Though, how does its reloading costs compare to say a 6.5 CM?
Phillip

Okay, looks like a .308 might not be all to bad after all since everyone seems to really like them. Though, how does its reloading costs compare to say a 6.5 CM?
Phillip

Bullets for the 308 are bigger. So they cost more. Just look at Midway to compare quality 308 bullets to quality 6.5 bullets. The rest of it is pretty much a wash.

Phillip

For all my hunting rifles (which is every rifle I have except my 5R Milspec .308), I shoot Bergers, because I don't do a lot of target shooting with them, so the cost to shoot them is not that bad. But if you're doing a lot of volume target shooting, you will want something cheaper, like the Nosler Custom Comps, which is what I use in my .308 Win.

And actually, the exact same load that I shoot for my .308 with the Nosler Custom Comp target bullets, also shoots 1-hole 3-shot groups with Berger 168 VLD's, if I ever wanted to carry it hunting with me. :cool:

Ironically, the bullets for the .308 and 6.5 cost about the same. And in some cases, the 6.5mm bullets cost more, due to the current popularity of the 6.5mm calibers.

I use these bullets for volume target shooting with my .308 Win, because they're great target bullets and cheap. And the 1000/pack of these .308 bullets is only $230.99 ($0.23 per bullet)...

Nosler Custom Competition Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 168 Grain

While the same brand and model bullets in a 6.5 are $247.99 ($0.25 per bullet)... Not a significant difference, but $17 saved is always nice. If you shoot Bergers, then the cost will be a wash, as all Berger bullets pretty much cost the same.

Nosler Custom Competition Bullets 264 Cal 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 140

However, another advantage to the .308 Win over the 6.5 CM is that Lapua (the best brass ever made) makes .308 Win brass, and does not offer 6.5 CM brass...

Lapua Reloading Brass 308 Winchester Box of 100

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.