Best precision rifle for a new-bee?

for targets i would get the 6mmbr. i have one they are awesome. mine is a remington 700 with a krieger barrrel. only 1000 in it. small groups are easy with it.

If you are looking at that Salvage for $1100...Don't fail to take a gander at the Remington 700 5R Milspec in .308 Win. I've had mine since 2010, and it shoots sub-1/4" groups at 100 yards with handloads.

Barrel life for the .308 Win is also virtually unlimited. I've never heard of a regular shooter (non-competitive) burning out a .308 Win barrel under normal conditions.

Okay, sounds like the 6mm BR and the 308 might be my best bets based on extreme accuracy, durability, and relative cost effectiveness. I have a friend who has offered to help me reload as much as I want so that shouldn't be a problem (I read that 6mm BR cost only about $.30 to reload so that is a major plus). The Savage Model 12 F class target 308 is on sale at Cabela's right now for $1100. Any recommendations would be very welcome.
Thanks!

Under $600 for your consideration >>> http://www.impactguns.com/savage-10...in-barrel-custom-bolt-22075-011356220752.aspx

Okay, I've done a but more reading and think I'm going to rule out the 308 in favor of the 6mm BR or 6.5CM. The Savage Long Range Precision in 6.5CM looks to be a very good tack driver. Are there any other rifles in the same or even differing calibers that you long range experts might recommend?
Again, I am rather new to this and am feeling a bit overwhelmed so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Phillip

Okay, I've done a but more reading and think I'm going to rule out the 308 in favor of the 6mm BR or 6.5CM. The Savage Long Range Precision in 6.5CM looks to be a very good tack driver. Are there any other rifles in the same or even differing calibers that you long range experts might recommend?
Again, I am rather new to this and am feeling a bit overwhelmed so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Phillip

I think the Savage in the Creedmoor will suit your needs well.

Thanks, Phillip

Before you rule out .308 Win, do a custom search on the top right hand corner for "montanamarine .308 Win 215 Berger" threads. He's pushing the 215s well beyond 1K yards. The 215s high BC is your friend.

Keep it simple, this not going to be your last rifle and decision to make. There's a reason why most of us are recommending the .308 Win.

We can only provide you sound advice/recommendations but you must make your own decision and face the consequences associated with it. If you can live with your decision, then go for it!

The 308... such a fine, dependable design for real-world applications. Not a Ferrari but it'll take you where your going, is good on gas, won't break down and the girls don't mind being seen in one. Sometimes you need to go to extremes to realize that less is more.

Thanks, Phillip
That would be a fine rifle. It has a good reputation. My buddy has one.

6.5CM is fine.
308Win is fine.

Now you need to find one and pull the trigger.

Thanks very much, I appreciate the advice. I think I'd like to stick with a 6mm BR or 6.5 CM rifle. I've read they are both extremely accurate rounds based on BC and have good selection in VLD bullets. While the 308 is inarguable a very capable rifle, I feel as if in the ballistics, is has been surpassed. I could be wrong but I've also read that due to the 308s larger bullet and things it both kicks more and consumes more powder. If I may, what are the pros and cons of the 6mm BR and 6.5 CM rounds? Right now I feel like the Savage Long Range Precision 6.5 CM might be the best fit for me but then I wonder if it might be better to go with a Model 12 F Class in 6mm BR? I will be doing my own reloading, is either of those calibers better to reload with in regards to cost?
Thanks, Phillip

Thanks very much, I appreciate the advice. I think I'd like to stick with a 6mm BR or 6.5 CM rifle. I've read they are both extremely accurate rounds based on BC and have good selection in VLD bullets. While the 308 is inarguable a very capable rifle, I feel as if in the ballistics, is has been surpassed. I could be wrong but I've also read that due to the 308s larger bullet and things it both kicks more and consumes more powder. If I may, what are the pros and cons of the 6mm BR and 6.5 CM rounds? Right now I feel like the Savage Long Range Precision 6.5 CM might be the best fit for me but then I wonder if it might be better to go with a Model 12 F Class in 6mm BR? I will be doing my own reloading, is either of those calibers better to reload with in regards to cost?
Thanks, Phillip

BC has to do with the bullet (projectile) itself, NOT the entire round. The .30 caliber bullets that some of us have been using, have BC's that have far surpassed the 6.5mm bullets. I use the Berger 210 VLD's in my .308 Win, and they have a G1 BC of .631, and the 215 Hyrbids have a G1 BC of .696. The 6.5mm Berger 140 VLD has a G1 BC of .612. The higher the BC, the better for LR shooting. The only advantage the 6.5mm calibers will have, is velocity, because of the lighter weight bullets. Other than that, no advantage. Lighter bullets do not retain as much energy, and usually exhibit more wind-drift, as a result of that loss of energy, due to lack of bullet weight.

The .308 Win has not been surpassed by the 6.5 Creedmoor, except only in the minds of those who choose not to accept that the .308 Win is no longer an old outdated caliber. This is simply my opinion.

In the end, it is your money, not our's... And only you know which caliber/rifle is right for you.

BC has to do with the bullet (projectile) itself, NOT the entire round. The .30 caliber bullets that some of us have been using, have BC's that have far surpassed the 6.5mm bullets. I use the Berger 210 VLD's in my .308 Win, and they have a G1 BC of .631, and the 215 Hyrbids have a G1 BC of .696. The 6.5mm Berger 140 VLD has a G1 BC of .612. The higher the BC, the better for LR shooting. The only advantage the 6.5mm calibers will have, is velocity, because of the lighter weight bullets. Other than that, no advantage. Lighter bullets do not retain as much energy, and usually exhibit more wind-drift, as a result of that loss of energy, due to lack of bullet weight.

The .308 Win has not been surpassed by the 6.5 Creedmoor, except only in the minds of those who choose not to accept that the .308 Win is no longer an old outdated caliber. This is simply my opinion.

In the end, it is your money, not our's... And only you know which caliber/rifle is right for you.

I love my .308. been shooting one for 45 years or longer. My first deer rifle was a .308. A very accurate round.

that said a 210 gr berger in a .308 stings on both ends. I no longer take mine to the range except for annual sight in.

Love my 6mm's. you can shoot them all day. Now I must admit they don't buck the wind like 30 cals do but they are much easier to shoot accurately. The wind is the great equalizer for everyone.

I have a Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm very happy with it. I like the LRP over the Savage F Class rifles are single shot. The LRP has basically the same action but is cut at the bottom for a drop magazine. Good action with a DBM, just doesn't get any better than that.

Below pic are some 100 yard groups shot with the LRP when I was doing load workup for it. I took the load on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_20131210_175337.jpg
    IMG_20131210_175337.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 72
On 1/13/13, I shot this 24-shot hotlap (no breaks) during barrel break-in with my 5R .308 Win, and ZERO load development. I loaded 100 of those rounds simply for barrel break-in only, and set the seating depth to 2.810" OAL. Apparantly I picked the right node. :D

Outside-to-outside, that group is 1.594"...If you take in for an adjusted measurement (accounting for a bullet diameter of .308"), it comes out to 1.286".

Therefore, if I had not tried to shoot all the orange out (far right middle shot), the group would be less than 1.000". Not bad for no lead development and shots #76-100 of a brand new barrel, on a new 100% factory Remington rifle... :cool:

2AB4E683-A2EA-491A-93A0-D6A4B695D38F-545-000000D5F11489CB.jpg

E04F0BEA-4992-48B5-A832-455D460D1A4F-545-000000D6DDDB7663.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts