Best precision rifle for a new-bee?

If and when Lapua makes 6.5 Creedmoor brass, it will be about 35% more expensive than 308 brass, if you can find it. Great brass gives you more reloads which significantly improves the cost-per-round and greater satisfaction in the performance. During times of shortages, which we're still in, .22 and .308 bullets take precedents from the bullet makers. That goes double for the brass availability. 308 has a very wide band of powder selection that works well. .308 bullets are interchangeable with many other popular calibers that use a .308 bullet. Of course there may be times in your life you just want to snag a box of ammo from the store instead of going out into the garage for a couple hours. That being the case, you can find good 308 and it'll be almost half the price. The 308 is highly versatile and does almost everything you need it to do and does it well. 6.5's are also excellent and will cover the 5 or 10 percent of the real world shooting you 308 doesn't but at a somewhat higher cost/maintenance and possible periods of component/ammo unavailability. 6.5 Creed might also give an edge in bragging rights once or twice a year for "way out there". Of course that edge might slip a little if your losing trigger time due component availability/cost or you trying to get to many shots from your hard to find or lower quality brass.

Yup. Why buy an Etzel when you can by a Ferrari for the same price. gun):D

I wouldn't own either but I would buy a pickup or a midsize something or other like a Camry and use it every day for a decade for work, vacation and fun. Seriously though, those Ruger Precision Rifles look like they flat out work in any of their caliber offerings. It doesn't look like a guy can go very wrong with one of those.

If and when Lapua makes 6.5 Creedmoor brass, it will be about 35% more expensive than 308 brass, if you can find it. Great brass gives you more reloads which significantly improves the cost-per-round and greater satisfaction in the performance. During times of shortages, which we're still in, .22 and .308 bullets take precedents from the bullet makers. That goes double for the brass availability. 308 has a very wide band of powder selection that works well. .308 bullets are interchangeable with many other popular calibers that use a .308 bullet. Of course there may be times in your life you just want to snag a box of ammo from the store instead of going out into the garage for a couple hours. That being the case, you can find good 308 and it'll be almost half the price. The 308 is highly versatile and does almost everything you need it to do and does it well. 6.5's are also excellent and will cover the 5 or 10 percent of the real world shooting you 308 doesn't but at a somewhat higher cost/maintenance and possible periods of component/ammo unavailability. 6.5 Creed might also give an edge in bragging rights once or twice a year for "way out there". Of course that edge might slip a little if your losing trigger time due component availability/cost or you trying to get to many shots from your hard to find or lower quality brass.

Well I really like the .308. My main hunting rifle is .308.

but my play guns for the range are all 6mms. After about 10 rounds I have had it with the .308. I don't even take it to the range anymore. The 6mm are just too much fun to shoot.

Even the 1000 yrd guys are starting to see the light. That little dasher is kicking the .300 weatherby's butts.

Welcome to the sport!

While I see good advice on this thread, I side with the .223 for a first rifle. Loaded ammunition is ubiquitous and affordable and it is a great platform to develop your hand loading skills.

For a starter rifle the Tikka T3 light or one of the T3 variants is hard to beat (regardless of where you call home). They are spectacularly accurate for a production rifle and if you live where the 1:10" twist is not the only option (1:8" for ex.) you can shoot heavy 22 cal bullets quite nicely at 500 meters. The T3's have wonderful triggers, smooth actions and Sako barrels.

I would think of a .223 rem in a 1:8" twist as a "lite version" of the .308 Win - as far as "learning the ropes" of center fire rifle shooting skills is concerned.

Spend a significant portion of your budget on optics as the scope will do more for your accuracy than most anything else you add to the rifle.

Best wishes friend and remember to embrace the fun parts, and don't get caught up in the race to have the "latest and greatest" thing you see on the forums (that will come later lol!).

-Eric

Attachments

• 800px-Alpenquai_-_ZSG_'Etzel'_-_Utoquai_2012-03-23_15-51-11_(P7000).JPG
    800px-Alpenquai_-_ZSG_'Etzel'_-_Utoquai_2012-03-23_15-51-11_(P7000).JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 78
For an accurate, first ever centerfire rifle, I don't see how you can beat the 223. Cheapest to shot, easy to shoot, very accurate, and long barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.