Best powder for 30-06,22 inch barrel 1 in 10 twist, 178 eldx ?

I have a Speer #1 manual and it says the IMR 4064 replaced Dupont 15 1/2. 4064 does well with 150's and from my experience and research IMR 4350 does really well with the 180's. I just picked up H4350 to see how it does with varying temperatures. IMR 4350 variances are good, but H is supposed to be better.

Don't blatantly disregard Superformance if you already have some on hand. I found great loads for my '06 from the 168 TTSX to 190 ABLR using Superformance. When I tested the 130 TTSX, Superformance was showing itself to be too slow, at least in my rifle. But I definitely see more velocity before pressure signs appear using Superformance than I have with RL-19, RL-22, and RL-23.

According to my notes, 61.2gr Superformance yielded me an average velocity of 2866 from a 22" factory Savage barrel. That's a 190gr bullet.

------Two things I must stress------

This was MY experience in MY rifle.
Secondly, I have a lot more testing to do before I settle on a load for the 190's.

Edited to add: that charge weight above is definitely close to max in my rifle. It HAS to be close to showing pressure...lol. So use care in selecting your starting charge weight.

If you can find any, RL-16 and N550 are two I've used with good results on 180 gr Nosler AB's in 30-06.
I used RL-22 for a long time, but found the lack of temp stability problematic.
Also heard that 4451 is good.
gotta laugh at alliant powder line...

RL17 Consistent maximum velocity in extreme weather conditions.... they changed the wording because of me.. it used to say just consistent in extreme weather conditions, which makes you think it's stable to temp variations, verses this, with thier temp stable or insensitive powers.

RL 15 Consistent at all temperatures

1903a3 Sporter 24 inch, 10T. On another target I did pressure test with N555 (was available at few places last time I checked) at 200 yards. Settled on 56.5 with 175 TMKs (close enough to the 178 ELDX) LC 67 Match. 2.5-10X56 Nikon Monarch UCC. Group above the left paster was with 210M, the center group was with 215M.

20220524_190812.jpg

I shot each group after cooling the barrel while shooting pistol.

Unfortunately, I forgot the battery pack for the LabRadar, no chrono data. Will do when I do seating depth exercise.

It is a hunter, 3 shot groups is all I am worried about, but once optimized I will continue shooting 1 shot cold bore all through these months (1 shot on each outing) till opening day. Compile all atmospheric and target data,

Somehow, the 03 intrigues me, will most likely use it to harvest CenTex WT this season. My hunting place shooting range is from 240 to 350 yards, perfect application for the 175/178 class bullets on deer.

Last edited:

RL17 Consistent maximum velocity in extreme weather conditions.... they changed the wording because of me.. it used to say just consistent in extreme weather conditions, which makes you think it's stable to temp variations, verses this, with thier temp stable or insensitive powers.

I chuckle at any of their absurd temp. stability claims. I've seen some pretty large spreads with h4895 in a 25wssm too from cold to hot. Right around 100 fps. I run my loads in cold weather for accuracy and speed AND in hot weather for accuracy and speed before I hunt the load. I've seen a number of combo's fall off the rails when it gets cold accuracy wise so I'm a bit more wary on that. I can accommodate a speed change but I can't shoot a shotgun patterning load at 1/4 to 1/2 mile offhand.

For 178 to 190 class bullets my go to is now H-100V a bit slower than 4350 and just a bit faster than 4831 just the right speed similar to RL-19 but I have found it more accurate for me and I have a bunch of it so I can horde my 4350 and 4831🤣🤣

I hope that the OP (last seen on Mar 4, 2018), after 4+ years, has developed his load already.
you'd be surprised. Once I bedded my rifle, and worked on other case preps, it got better. That took a few years. Finding out the right powder for certain bullet weights, taking advice from more prominent/knowledgeable peoples advice (being stubborn on my part) made all the difference in the world.

Last edited:

Interesting…QL shows it as temp stable too.