Best pelt saving bullet for .243???

Dust270WSM

I have a Savage Predator in .243 that I reload for with 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips that are extremely deadly but hard on pelts. What's yalls recipe for a deadly combo pelt saver?

The only bullet you will never see exit 100% of the time would be the Barnes Varmint Grenade. I personally have never had any success with getting them to shoot worth a darn. I never really spent to much time trying to get them to shoot.
My buddy was working with them in .223. Haven't talked to him since so not sure if he had success or not.

I have an un-documented theory. I would try a heavier bullet in the 80 to 100 grain range and get one that fragments less. A .243 is going to put a dog down even if it doesn't blow apart. You are right, those 55 gr pills about tear a dog in half. I don't think I would go as far as to say use a FMJ and the Accubonds may be too pricy for dog hunting. My next dog is going down with either a 100grn hornady interlock or 95 gr Berger vld

When it comes to a 'fur friendly bullet', it is more important to look at bullet speed rather than the bullet itself.

Agree with FAIRCHASE & jrock.

I shot 4 or 5 coyotes with the federal blue box factory load 100gr sp. I think they claim around 2920 FPS. Obviously they exited but they don't expand too quickly. All were DRT with nickel size exits.

That is what I was thinking would happen if you used a 100 gr. Glad to hear that it works.

Another + for the heavier bullet is that your rifle can pull double duty on antelope, deer, or wolves without changing your load.

I like the idea of general purpose rifles and loads because you never know what you'll run into when you're out there and maybe one day having that lion or wolf tag in my pocket while calling might pay off.

I just picked up a box of 105gr amax to test out in the 243. Hopefully they will shoot from my rifle as well as the 100gr Sierra game kings do.

I live in northern Michigan and have the same expansion problems with my .243. I have tried lighter bullets in the 55gr to 85gr weights as well as the heavier 90gr to 108gr weights with limited success . I have used hunting grade as well as match bullets that have a heavier jacket with no reliable results. Sometimes the heavier bullets on smaller coyotes that don't hit major bone work well then the next shot is a bigger animal or you hit a shoulder or up in the spine and it's hamburger again.[ small is under 25lbs, big is up to 46lbs] I have a box of Sierra 90gr FMJ on back order with Brownells now for about a year. Has any one tried this bullet?
Thank you
Steve Bair

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.