Best pelt saving bullet for .243???

Berger 105 VLD Target. The thicker jacket helps a bit. I have used 75 gr Sierra Varminters, 87 gr Hornady GMX and 100 grain Speer SP. Honestly, the GMX did very well. The Sierra makes big holes when shot under 300 yards.

But I keep going back to the Berger's because I get the possibilities to take long shots if I have the opportunity.

Back when coyote pelts were worth something, my Pops would use a mid weight speer fmj in his 243 and launch it at about 30-30 velocities to keep the pill in the critter most of the time. You would not believe how far out you can smack a 'yote with a 2400 fps slug when it'll stay on a dime at 200 and you have run a few hundred through the rifle and are used to it.

I shot the Hornady 105HPBT this past season out of my 244 Imp at 3350fps. Shot a dozen with that combination from 40 yards to 550 yards. Distance didn't seem to matter but shot placement did drastically. All shots in the chest or shoulder had a tiny entrance hole and no exit but mush in between. Catch the back and you can throw a football through the hole in the hide. Either no stitches or a pile of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.