Best bullet for coyotes outta my .243?

Dust270WSM

I'm shooting a savage predator. 243 and was wondering which load yall prefer? I handload an have been using 55 grain nosler which are deadly. But was wondering if that's the best for shooting them from under 100 yards to over 600. In Oklahoma we could be 60 degrees one day with no wind and 20 the next with 20 mph winds. So would like to use the deadliest flatest and best for just in case I get in a 20 mph windest bullet. Lol.. Thanks for any help or recommendations...
Also shot at a couple with my AR-.223 in a cross 20 mph wind and was shocked on how much drift it had at 200 yards..shooting a 55 grain in it also..guess I need to hold accordingly in that kinda wind. Just didn't reaize they drifted that much.
I put some ballistics in a calculator and it didn't seem like it matter much going from a 55 grain to like a 70 or even a 90 grain..

I shot 60 grainers for fur. Then went to 70 blitzkings and the old 75vmax (hp version)when the price fell out. They were harder on fur but killed well at 34-3500fps. If your not hunting fur just need to kill them the 87vmax flat out kills them but the hides are full of big holes.

I agree with Capt RB. The Sierra 60 HP is very accurate & a great fur bullet. I just bought a H&R Handi-Rifle in 243. Since I have a box of Sierra 70 MK's that is what I will start with. The Sierra 85 BTHP is another good one.
Thanks, Kirk

We started seeing enough coyotes to hunt in Iowa back in the mid 70s. I have been chasing the buggers ever since. I am nearing the 500 coyote mark and have killed most of them with a 243. Back in my early coyote hunting days I wasn't a reloader so I shot 80 grain Core Lockts. They accounted for a lot of dead song dogs. Then I got into reloading and loaded Hornady 70 grain SX bullets and they worked well. About the mid 80s they coyote population exploded. My 4 buddies and I killed 138 coyotes in 1987 and never got more than 20 miles from home. I switched to Hornady 58 grain VMax when they first came out and have been using them ever since. They are running 3800 fps and really make a whop when they land on the big part of a yote.

The last few years the coyotes have adapted well. You either have to kick them in the butt to make them get up and run or they hang out around 4-500 yards watching you. I have three 243 rifles but my main one is a cheap, ugly Remington 783 that has been spray painted white. It has a straight 6x Stith Kollmorgen scope that has been around as long as I have been flinging lead at critters. It lives behind the seat of the truck like an old hammer lives in a tractor toolbox. It's beat up but still shoots 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards and that's good enough for shooting running coyotes.

Last Friday afternoon I was out sitting in the breeze overwatching one of the local coyote haunts hoping one would wander by at dusk. Sure enough with 15 minutes of shooting light left a nice male coyote crossed the big ditch in front of me at 700 yards and started trotting along the ditch. I have an old bellows squirrel call with a hole cut in the bellows so that I can blow into it with my mouth. I can make it sound more like a dying rabbit than an actual dying rabbit and with more volume. I gave a loud whaaaaa on that call and that big coyote looked right at me and headed my way. I was all dressed in camo and trying real hard not to move but I had to turn the shooting sticks just a bit to get on him. Well dang, he saw me at about 400 yards and did an about face. He stopped at 450 yards for another look. I know where to hold for elevation but the darned 20 mph crosswind messed me up and I blew a hole in the dirt right under his chin. He got educated and I got nothing. This was the third coyote that I have missed this winter standing still at around the 500 yard mark. It's getting kind of old so I already had a plan in place before this last hole in the dirt saga.

James Wayne Firearms has Howa 243s with the tan Hogue stock on sale for $329 on gunbroker so I bought one. I also am going to take some advice from Whidden on long range shooting with the 243. I figure if he can win The Presidents Cup with a 243 shooting those long slippery high ballistic coefficient bullets at a 1000 yards then maybe I can land one on a fat coyote at half that distance. I am going to set this gun up to shoot 105 grain Hornady Amax bullets at around 2900 fps. I am also going to put a 3x9x50 Leupold scope on this gun. I have killed almost all of my coyotes with straight 6x scopes but most of them have been under 300 yards. The extra 3x of power will be welcomed. The gun is supposed to show up today and I already have the scope. I have several powders to try so will get some test rounds loaded up and hopefully get to the range this weekend or first of next week.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I'm pretty certain that I saw that coyote flip me the bird as he dove off into the big ditch as he made his hiatus so I have a score to settle with that song dog!

Those 105 A max work good on coyotes. They quit making them so when I run out we will have to go to the 103 ELDX OR the 108 ELD match. Just me but I would want more than a 3x9 on my long range rifle, but it is better that the 6x. I missed one myself last month at 100ys I didn't have a steady rest and as I pulled the trigger the rifle shifted and just missed him. I do hate it when that happens.

We started seeing enough coyotes to hunt in Iowa back in the mid 70s. I have been chasing the buggers ever since. I am nearing the 500 coyote mark and have killed most of them with a 243. Back in my early coyote hunting days I wasn't a reloader so I shot 80 grain Core Lockts. They accounted for a lot of dead song dogs. Then I got into reloading and loaded Hornady 70 grain SX bullets and they worked well. About the mid 80s they coyote population exploded. My 4 buddies and I killed 138 coyotes in 1987 and never got more than 20 miles from home. I switched to Hornady 58 grain VMax when they first came out and have been using them ever since. They are running 3800 fps and really make a whop when they land on the big part of a yote.

The last few years the coyotes have adapted well. You either have to kick them in the butt to make them get up and run or they hang out around 4-500 yards watching you. I have three 243 rifles but my main one is a cheap, ugly Remington 783 that has been spray painted white. It has a straight 6x Stith Kollmorgen scope that has been around as long as I have been flinging lead at critters. It lives behind the seat of the truck like an old hammer lives in a tractor toolbox. It's beat up but still shoots 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards and that's good enough for shooting running coyotes.

Last Friday afternoon I was out sitting in the breeze overwatching one of the local coyote haunts hoping one would wander by at dusk. Sure enough with 15 minutes of shooting light left a nice male coyote crossed the big ditch in front of me at 700 yards and started trotting along the ditch. I have an old bellows squirrel call with a hole cut in the bellows so that I can blow into it with my mouth. I can make it sound more like a dying rabbit than an actual dying rabbit and with more volume. I gave a loud whaaaaa on that call and that big coyote looked right at me and headed my way. I was all dressed in camo and trying real hard not to move but I had to turn the shooting sticks just a bit to get on him. Well dang, he saw me at about 400 yards and did an about face. He stopped at 450 yards for another look. I know where to hold for elevation but the darned 20 mph crosswind messed me up and I blew a hole in the dirt right under his chin. He got educated and I got nothing. This was the third coyote that I have missed this winter standing still at around the 500 yard mark. It's getting kind of old so I already had a plan in place before this last hole in the dirt saga.

James Wayne Firearms has Howa 243s with the tan Hogue stock on sale for $329 on gunbroker so I bought one. I also am going to take some advice from Whidden on long range shooting with the 243. I figure if he can win The Presidents Cup with a 243 shooting those long slippery high ballistic coefficient bullets at a 1000 yards then maybe I can land one on a fat coyote at half that distance. I am going to set this gun up to shoot 105 grain Hornady Amax bullets at around 2900 fps. I am also going to put a 3x9x50 Leupold scope on this gun. I have killed almost all of my coyotes with straight 6x scopes but most of them have been under 300 yards. The extra 3x of power will be welcomed. The gun is supposed to show up today and I already have the scope. I have several powders to try so will get some test rounds loaded up and hopefully get to the range this weekend or first of next week.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I'm pretty certain that I saw that coyote flip me the bird as he dove off into the big ditch as he made his hiatus so I have a score to settle with that song dog!
The howa's are 10tw and where I hunt I cannot shoot them because of the slower than needed twist. Try em but if they don't shoot the 87 vmax at 3320-3380 will get get you on them at that range. I use 100V to get that velocity with ease. 3320 is where my 26" winchester shoots them best. My 243ai will shoot higher velocity by alot however they shoot tiny below 3400. Usually 1/2moa for 5 out to 600. Very lethal as well.

Thanks for the advice on the 87 gr Vmax. I believe Whidden shoots an 8 twist in his 243 1000 yard gun.
I have always been way more hunter than shooter and love to get on a fresh set of coyote tracks after some new snow and just follow him until one of us wins. Most of my shots are under 200 yards and they are running shots. That explains the way fast bullet......less lead to figure. The problem is that I am not a kid anymore and that tracking may leave me several miles from the truck. I am already on my second set of titanium knees. My wife says I need to give it up but that isn't going to happen. I've been killing coyotes for 45 years and I am not waving a white flag until I take a dirt nap.

I killed two coyotes last week by sitting against a tree overwatching a frozen creek bed that was covered with tracks. Right at dusk a pair came trotting down that creek on the ice and I ambushed both of them with number 4 buckshot. The first at 15 yard and the second at 30. For some reason it felt too easy.....almost like I was cheating using a scattergun as opposed to a rifle.

Tnwhip: The 6X scope is and old guy creature of habit deal. I have had higher powered scopes but since I do so much tracking and jumping that I don't need that much glass. Besides I have grown so used to how everything is when looking through the 6X that using something else is kinda like teaching an old dog a new trick.

We had one of The Presidents Elite come coyote hunting for a weekend a few years back and he was absolutely amazed at the running shots that our group was making. It was late in the day on Sunday before he finally killed a coyote on the run...it was his 8th chance. However we had a big alpha male that had given us the slip numerous times and he was wary as they come. I spotted him laying at the base of a brush pile in the middle of nowhere. His dark coat gave him away. I surveyed the situation and the wind and told the boys that he raised his head everytime a car went down the road a half mile away. The only chance on this particular day would be to snipe him from a fence line 600+ yards away. That is beyond my ability but our long range shooting guest and his 7mm08 was up to the task. The coyote never knew what hit him. I got to watch it all unfold from my perch high on a hill 3/4 of a mile away. I was impressed. I would be happy if I could kill them from 400 yards off the sticks with some regularity. Like I said, I have always been more hunter than shooter. I hope that there is still time to learn to shoot from afar.

I'm shooting a savage predator. 243 and was wondering which load yall prefer? I handload an have been using 55 grain nosler which are deadly. But was wondering if that's the best for shooting them from under 100 yards to over 600. In Oklahoma we could be 60 degrees one day with no wind and 20 the next with 20 mph winds. So would like to use the deadliest flatest and best for just in case I get in a 20 mph windest bullet. Lol.. Thanks for any help or recommendations...
Also shot at a couple with my AR-.223 in a cross 20 mph wind and was shocked on how much drift it had at 200 yards..shooting a 55 grain in it also..guess I need to hold accordingly in that kinda wind. Just didn't reaize they drifted that much.
I put some ballistics in a calculator and it didn't seem like it matter much going from a 55 grain to like a 70 or even a 90 grain..
Not sure that is going to help. I use a 22 x243 Ack Imp rifle withy a 65 grain Sierra gameking bullet to kill yotes. Bullet is super fast 3800fps. Kills those buggers in their tracks. Awesome rifle to shoot AND deadly accurate

I shoot the 70 grain nosler varmegedden over 44 grains of rl17 and have hit or miss results. All dead dogs but pelt damage is the both of miss part. 70 grain is to heavy in my opinion still for saving pelts but it hits them like a bolt of lightning at any range I've shot!

I have a predator also in 243 and have shot dogs with for the last several years. I've shot the 70gr Nosler ballistic tip over 40grs of varget. It'll shoot 3/8 to a 1/2 at 100yards depending on conditions and ME. Still 1/2 at 300 but starts opening up at 400.

I've gone back and forth on using light bullets and heavy ones. Heavy ones do well across the board and the light ones only work with minimal wind. Since I have little control over the weather and days I hunt, I've opted to stick with the heavies for now. That way, wind or no wind, I'm covered.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.