noob's ? What's best coyote bullet for .223?

I used to shoot alot of 40gr Nosler Balistic Tips out of my 1-9tw Remmy LTR .223 and not only were they accurate but they were hell on coyotes. Now that same gun is a 1-9tw .223AI and all I have shot out of it is 53Vmax. I really liked the little 40's but I love these new 53Vmax.

hubcap,
Welcome to LRH Forums! :)

I recommend a 55 gr. Hornady V-Max or heavier bullet in a semi-pointed design. If you don't have good shot placement, a lighter weight bullet can get a surface splash on a coyote...not getting good penetration will only wound the coyote.

Coyotes are tough customers and it can take quite a bit to knock one down. :rolleyes:

I hit this one 3x with a 45gr. JHP and he still ran over 60 yards to make it into the woods, where I found him taking his last breath.

1stCoyote.jpg

Bowhunter57

+2 on the 55vmax, with 24.5 tac my 16 in dpms 1-9 loves this to 300. farthest i had to go this year.this is my cold weather load,be safe SLOANgun)

hub - where are you? how long are your shots usually? how big are the coyotes? i prefer either a 50 or 60 grain balistic tip. they will all do it if you point it right. coyotes are tough and a fairly small target. a 53 vmx would be good.

hub - where are you? how long are your shots usually? how big are the coyotes? i prefer either a 50 or 60 grain balistic tip. they will all do it if you point it right. coyotes are tough and a fairly small target. a 53 vmx would be good.
Midwest. Haven't started hunting them yet. Wanted recommendations so I wouldn't have to learn by trial and error.

+1 55gr vmax!!! my ar loves them I'm talking clover leafs and one ragged hole groups. Result on tires and bobcat is impressive, only really nasty wounds have been one collar bone hit and about 60yd the rest were .223 entrance no exit or a hole I could find anyways. My buddy shoots 50gr in his 22-250 and has had similar results.

Your 223 should do well with the recommendations made but, you don't want to spend $50 to $100 on several boxes until you know. When you do find a good load, stock up on the lot number if you can afford to. I just bought six boxes of Hornady 50gr V-max's because I know what they can do in my Savage 112BV 22-250 1:9. Good for 440 yd coyote kills to date and accuracy wise, will kill a lot farther, plus I reload and like Hornady's brass.

I use 55 gr. VMax in my AR15 Never had one run away and usually one hole using 24.5 grs. TAC. Same with .22-250 AI and 37 grs of Varget. Shot behind shoulder, dead on the spot, one hole. Blitz Kings are about the same. 55 Grs is the game at least for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.