Pelt saving coyote loads

tdregs13

I was wondering what the optimal coyote bullet would be for a .243win? I need something that will save pelts but still deliver a blow when it hits the yote. I looked at the 75gr V-Max and the 87gr V-Max along with some other bullets in that range.

I have killed several coyotes with the Sierra 60 HP. If you hit the edges it gets messy. A good chest shot and the bullet will not exit most of the time. The 85 HP Sierra is also good. You will get an exit but on a broadside shot the exit hole will be sewable. I have skinned a ton of coyotes and have killed them with everything from a 222 to a 25-06. With the powders and bullets today you can find a fur load.
Kirk

I will second the 60 grain hollow points. Just steer clear or shoulder hits or it has a tendancy to open then up.

I was wondering what the optimal coyote bullet would be for a .243win? I need something that will save pelts but still deliver a blow when it hits the yote. I looked at the 75gr V-Max and the 87gr V-Max along with some other bullets in that range.

You might think about a heaver bullet with little or no expansion, like the 6mm Speer TMJ 80gr. or Berger 65gr BT targets; or perhaps something in the 100grs match or solid range of bullet.
Slow them up a just little, and they should work just fine for a yote. It's pretty hard for a yote too take any 6mm round and not be anchored. The solids do a pretty good job of saving the pelt.

Have fun.

[FONT=&quot]436[/FONT]

I shoot around 40 each year, primarily with the 243 or 6mm. A 75gr v max rarely exits on a solid hit and sure stops them instantly. In my 6mm I shoot a 70gr ballistic tip with superformance powder at 3824fps and it stops them great too and rarely exits. Lighter bullets don't do the job on one hit to far back as well for me, which happens on running away shots. These bullets still anchor them. Just don't shoot a fox or cat with one, it makes a mess.

I use to use the 85g spitzers or 85g HP's and they did an excellent job. The 100g spitzers do too. The 87g match do a decent job as well. I stay away from the plastic tips, they blow up alright and so do the hides. They're ment more for varmints not predators.

xdeano

OK seen well over a 100 yotes killed with this load and know of probably 3-400 killed with it, About 5 guys I know shoot it and have for years.

60 Gr Sierra Hp with whatever powder your gun likes the best, Mine likes IMR 4064 or H 414

I skin all my yotes and this load ia amazing on fur, Way better than any of my 22-250 loads I load it Mod speeds not hot

Kinda off the subject but I shot my 4th yote yesterday with my new 204 and 40gr V-max loads, it went under 10ft and traveled farther than any of the others. If you want pelts it shouldn't blow up cats or fox most of the time. For a "feed truck" gun on the ranch I still prefer the 6mm or 243 because the heavier bullets will break a coyote down at a bad angle, even a straight away butt shot, but the little 204 is proving to be plenty on broadside yotes. I shot a chicken with it at 200yds at a friends place and it still didn't exit on a small hollow-boned bird so I think it will stay in the smaller varmints and not exit. Just an observation from one kill. I am still a fan of the 70-75gr polymer tip bullets for yotes. If I wanted to shoot fox or cats also and was set on the 243 I'd try the 85gr partition or the 90gr accubond when they make more in February. I love those bullets because they offer quick expansion on impact without blowing up. They have good shock value without overexpanding before exit. The 90 or 95gr ballistic tip work well also for this, but I prefer the AB or PT because they have given extremely consistent performance from rifles 22-30 cal in weights from 60-180gr in different rifles, calibers, and velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.