243 Bullet for Fur..?..

I loaded up some 105 Amax for mine a while back for targets and long range coyotes. I shot one today at 89 yards broadside behind the shoulder and it left a pretty nasty hole.

I've not shot many light bullets in the 243, but in my 22-250 I use the berger 55gr and they are lethal but not very pelt friendly.

A friend uses the Barnes varmint grenades in his 223 and has had good luck saving pelts. It looks like they make a 6mm 62gr. May be an option. . .

Shoot a hybrid or Just a thick Jacketed bullet. You'll have to go look for a few here and there when the bullets pencil, but keep on eye on em and you'll find em and they'll be without big holes more of the time. Neck shots help the mula factor also.

Just remember the neck or head shots will make it a little longer skinning, but who cares. Extra 5 minutes is worth 10 bucks.

my 243 rifle loves the 65gr Vmax minimum book load of 38gr varget and rem primers rem brass going around 3150.
I get 1.5 inch groups at 300 yards all day and they usually don't tear up the hide. It helps if they're further than 100 yds out!

When I lived back in the UK, I shot literally thousands of foxes, smaller but not much different in structure to a Coyote.

I used .243 with 55gr Nosler "Varmint" Ballistic tip and 43gr of Varget.

All shots under 200 yards were head shots but over 200 yards were lung or heart shots, I remember very few exit wounds with these bullets.

They were straight and fast but literally blew up on impact, a small entry obviously but they turned the internal organs to liquid, all the energy was transferred and stayed inside the animal, which is what you need.

You may want to give these a go as they expand more aggressively than the "Hunting" Ballistic tips you have been using.

JMHO.

Thanks,

Neill

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts