Bullet suggestion for fur hunting?

Kroberts

I got a chance to shoot some fur bearers with my 22 hornet running the 40gr varmagedon hp at about 2950fps. It did more damage than Im happy with. I've shot 2 coyotes, one at 10 and one at 65 yards. Identical damage on a broadside shot with an exit hole of 1.5" and and running 20 yards. That's tollerable but still more hide damage than I expected. I also took a 10 pound raccoon and 8 pound opossum, Both had 2-3" holes. Instead of going to a polymer tip that explodes I would rather use a soft point thatll expand and act more like a big game bullet. I'm looking at the 50gr offerings from Sierra, Hornady, and Speer. All look very similar but in not sure how they will stabilize and group out of my 16" twist CZ. Or if I should do the 45gr versions. I'm content with and expecting 1" exit holes and short 20 yard track jobs. I'm fine with running them slow 2000-2400fps to minimize damage but would prefer to keep the speed up using lil gun at ~2700fps to flatten the trajectory. If I can find what I'm imagining then it'll be my 1 load I'll use from long range squirreling out to as far as the rifle will hold a group with minimal meat loss to predator hunting saving pelts out to 200 yards with the occasional close range opportunistic white tail (during season of course).

Any suggestions on what I should go with to get the effect in after?

Thanks for all advise,
Kyle

I tried the 40gr V-MAX in my Hornet at about 2850. I haven't shot any coyotes with it, partly because it splashed pretty good on marmots. 2" entrance and no exit. In my .223 I have had good luck with both the 50gr. V-Max and the 55gr NBT. I plan to try some 45gr TSX bullets in the Hornet to see if I can get a good general purpose load for anything from rabbits to small deer at close range.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.